Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines MM + J through Raven Labs PMB-1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lay_a_groove, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Hi, guys! I`m gonna install on my new custom 5 string bass (honduran mahogany body) Basslines MM ceramic + J-style (neck) & run them separately through Raven Labs PMB-1. But one friend of mine insists that is too complicated & MM through good onboard pre would be quite enough. I`d appreciate any thoughts & suggestions. Thanx!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, what do YOU want?

3. I want great versatility, from aggressive grind to big dub tone & everything between (I wish :)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the MM&J config will get you great versatility - it's one of the big selling points of the lakland 55-02 series. No matter what controls you have, a sole MM really isn't going to be able to get you the same tone as a neck J pickup.

However, I'm not sure I understand what this means
    Do you mean you'll have separate output jacks for each pickup on your bass, and no onboard tone control?? If so, then that is IMO needlessly complicated. Why not use master volume / blend pots and an onboard preamp if you want onboard eq, maybe a series/parallel or coil tap switch for the MM.

5. 2 davidmwilson: thanx for reply! probably you`re right, I just think J-style pu`s much quieter compared to MM, so I`ve mentioned Raven Labs PMB in order to solve the problem...

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, you could get a humbucker J for your neck position - either one of the SD J stacks or one of the bartolini 5 string J's which are inline dual coil humbuckers. Those will have a higher output than single coil J's.

7. Thnx, I`ll try :)