Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines MM pup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jan 4, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The Modulus Flea bass often comes stock with a Basslines MM pup. That pup appears to be surrounding in a plastic covering, like a Bartolini MM pup (no exposed pole pieces). However, in perusing the Basslines website, I didn't notice that they offered a replacement MM pup with this covering.

Anyone know the deal on this?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

like Eminence speakers that go into roughly 90% of the amps and cabs made, with few exceptions, pickups are made to specs and are not available through the manufacturer of origin - and frequently not from the maker of the bass without buying the bass.

3. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Do you know in fact this pickup isn't available as a replacement part?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Luknfur is probably correct, but if you want to be sure, then a telephone call to Seymour Duncan will answer your question and leave no doubts.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Nope, don't know for fact and didn't mean to state it as if I did. Didn't even know Basslines were standard Flea. But the aforementioned is common practice to my knowledge and makes sense from a bass makers perspective since they're in the business of selling basses not pickups. Aside from the advantages of design to specs, since pups are a major part of the sound, a maker really wouldn't want the same pup available over the counter, not that it hasn't been or isn't done.

There was a relatively recent thread regarding speculation that Ultra Jazz pups were used in Sads since they were VERY similar to pups they use. Roger himself responded stating they have D wire some pups to they specs - he didn't reference the Ultra Jazz in particular.

Xyllion has a good point though as it's not uncommon for a website not to be up to date so they may have come out with a new pup and that you could confirm by calling. I've never seen (or at least don't recall) a closed face Duncan MM so it may be an active pup to boot, but not necessarily.

Let us know what you find out.

6. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Will do and thanks! :)