Basslines MM pup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jan 4, 2005.

1. The Modulus Flea bass often comes stock with a Basslines MM pup. That pup appears to be surrounding in a plastic covering, like a Bartolini MM pup (no exposed pole pieces). However, in perusing the Basslines website, I didn't notice that they offered a replacement MM pup with this covering.

Anyone know the deal on this?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

like Eminence speakers that go into roughly 90% of the amps and cabs made, with few exceptions, pickups are made to specs and are not available through the manufacturer of origin - and frequently not from the maker of the bass without buying the bass.

3. Do you know in fact this pickup isn't available as a replacement part?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Luknfur is probably correct, but if you want to be sure, then a telephone call to Seymour Duncan will answer your question and leave no doubts.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Nope, don't know for fact and didn't mean to state it as if I did. Didn't even know Basslines were standard Flea. But the aforementioned is common practice to my knowledge and makes sense from a bass makers perspective since they're in the business of selling basses not pickups. Aside from the advantages of design to specs, since pups are a major part of the sound, a maker really wouldn't want the same pup available over the counter, not that it hasn't been or isn't done.

There was a relatively recent thread regarding speculation that Ultra Jazz pups were used in Sads since they were VERY similar to pups they use. Roger himself responded stating they have D wire some pups to they specs - he didn't reference the Ultra Jazz in particular.

Xyllion has a good point though as it's not uncommon for a website not to be up to date so they may have come out with a new pup and that you could confirm by calling. I've never seen (or at least don't recall) a closed face Duncan MM so it may be an active pup to boot, but not necessarily.

Let us know what you find out.

6. Will do and thanks! :)