Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines or EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stu L., Jun 15, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just bought the Fender Steve Harris model. Came with SD 1/4 lbs. I already have some EMG pu's. Should I replace what I already like? The SD's sound good to me. But, they're EMG's.

I dont know.

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    My question is where did you find one of these? I bought mine in March and nobody was carrying these anymore!

I like the Quarter Pounder except that the treble with the tone knob all of the way up is pretty harsh. My solution is to roll the tone knob about 75% of the way down. I can't comment on any EMG P-pickups, sorry.

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Went to Mars. No, really. Mars. Last one. Tried everyone in the general area. Didnt find out until last Thursday that it was discontinued. I love it.

I bought the EMGs for a project, but spent the money on the Harris. EMGs are supposedly (sp?) the best. And they are active. I just dont want to install, uninstall, reinstall, etc, etc. Unless the general thought is to go with it.

:confused:

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned a few P-basses with Duncan 1/4lb's & I think they sounf great. One was a MIM & the other was a 70's Franken-P. Either way you go, the bass will soung great, IMO. :)

Good Luck.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Leave it as it is!!!! If it was good enough for 'arry, then it should be good enough for you! If you were gonna put EMGs in the bass, why get a signature series - you could have saved yourself a fortune by trying lots of MIM P-basses until you got the right one, and then put the EMGs in that!

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Didnt buy it because it was a sig model. I bought mainly for the neck. it sounds good, I guess that I'll just try the EMG's and see what I like. At least there's no body mods that I have to make if I dont like it.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm not real worried about re-sale value. I keep everything anyways. So with that said.....