1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basslines Quarter Pound Precision pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lpdeluxe, Apr 13, 2006.

1. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    If you all haven't guessed, this is my month to change out pickups. The latest surgery involved swapping the standard Squier II pickups in my P bass for the Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pounders.

Stock, this bass was a pleasant enough incarnation of the P: reasonably round tone, not much variation, some depth.

With the new Basslines, it has gotten a lot more aggressive, with very deep sounding low notes, without otherwise changing the tonality...in other words, it sounds like the same bass, only deeper and louder. I did an A/B with my mutt fitted with Select Humbuckers and it made that warm, sweet bass sound like a wimp! The P sounds terrific with my Musicman HD-130/Hartke 410XL rig, but the test will come when I bring my Ampeg B100R home from the rehearsal space. The Ampeg is more in line with my taste, and we shall see if the Basslines make the grade there.

One problem I had is that the covers slipped off the pickups quite easily. Since the covers have the screw bosses attached, when the cover isn't on the pickup, it falls to the bottom of the pickup slot. I sliced the packing foam that came in the Seymour Duncan packaging in half, and put each half under one half of the pickup, then made sure that the pickup was firmly (or, as firmly as possible) seated in the cover before I screwed it into the bass. Now the pickups adjust very easily...although I still need to fine-tune their height.

Pretty good transformation for $65. Now I just have to keep my hands off my other basses that still sound good with the original pickups.;)

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've had the Quarter Pounder in my old P for years now. I noticed the same improvement you did and I swapped out an American pickup for the Seymour Duncan.

Some say the Quarter Pounder is too harsh or aggressive. I don't find that to be true at all. It can be as mellow as I want depending on my EQ settings and strings. It also records very well.

I've installed this pickup in a couple of Mexican Ps belonging to my students. It was always a nice improvement. Here in Canada they sell for $110 Can. I think it's worth it.

I had the same problem with the pickup cover and solved it the same way you did.

I'm very happy with it over the long hall and I'm sure you will be too..

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    What kind of strings do you use on the P? Or, rather, what do different kinds of strings do to the sound? I bought this Squier II P a couple of weeks ago -- the music store had just put round wounds on it to sell it, and they are still on it. My other solid bodies have GHS Brite Flats on them, which I like the sound & feel of a lot. I have a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' nylon tape flatwounds that might end up on the P when I get tired of the rounds.

Any advice?

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've had the same set of Thomastic flats on it for years. Before that I used Trace Elliot rounds.

With the rounds it was a bit bright when the strings were new, but after a couple of weeks the sound became round and full, but for me, I still had to back off on the highs.

Once I put the Thomastics on, that was the sound I wanted. They're unlike any other flat wound string. Much more alive and responsive and they stay like that for years. I did try some nylon tapewounds briefly but they were way too honky in the mids and just had a rather strange sound that I didn't like. I took them off and put them on a Godin acoustic electric and I still don't like them even though they've mellowed a bit.

So, for what I like, the Quarter Pounder with Thomastic flats are ideal. I don't slap or go for a Jaco type sound and they are perfect for what I like to play. They are also very easy on my hands.

I have an Ibanez with Thomastics on it and with the 2 pickups and active EQ it'll get any sound you want. Also a Carvin with Thomastics that sounds like a jazz and a Danelectro DC with Thomastics that's just plain fun to play and good for some types of gigs.

But, getting back to the pickup, i couldn't be more pleased. I think I prefer it over the old original 62 P I first owned. It's hard to tell since I don't have both basses to compare and strings and amps have changed a lot since then. I know this is heresy but I don't care.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    What sort of amplification do you use? I recently retired my '63 Ampeg B15N and replaced it with the B100R. I can't hear enough difference between them to justify hauling that fragile old (and heavy!) amp around any more.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Lately (the last 2 years) I've used the Walkabout Scout combo which is plenty for everything I need. Before that I used various GK heads which I also liked.

This bass seems to work nicely with any decent amp and speaker combination. I've gone through hals a dozen different backlines on shows and always seem to get a good sound. The last backline gig was with a Yorkville head and SWR 4-10. That sounded pretty nice.

I've played this bass through the B100 and liked it a lot. I almost bought one but needed a bit more volume at the time.

Yes, I think you'll enjoy the Quarter Pounder. I think it's a fairly versatile pickup.

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have the Musicman/Hartke for those rare occasions that I need more than the B100R. I am at the point where I accompany guitarist/singers more than I rock out.

Thanks for your input.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I finally took the P with me to rehearsal, and plugged it into the B100R. Through that amp it was as sweet sounding as the Selects on the mutt (although I had the "deep" switch on with the mutt and off with the P). Very successful transplant.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's great. Are you still using the roundwounds?

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Yeah, I'm too cheap to replace new strings! It's sounding great with the rounds, however, which makes it the first bass I've had on which I can tolerate them. The pickup is voiced so that finger squeaks, which were a real problem with the Carvin with JB-style pickups, are not present.

I'm not sure where I'll go next, but I have a roll of shielding tape to install along with the new strings. I'm thinking the LaBella Deep Talkin' tapewounds might kill the articulation by being too bassy; they work fine on my Ibanez 5-string ABG, but that one was 'way too sizzly with the brass roundwounds.

Looking over my collection of strings, I see a couple of sets of roundwounds and a set of LaBellas. I may go with the Thomastiks, especially since I don't have any alternates here that look that attractive.

I see there are several varieties of Thomastik flats. Which set do you use, and where do you find them?

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Thomastics are a great choice. I use the 4 string Jazz flatwounds-can't remember the exact model number-but they're regular 34" scale length.
    I can get them in Toronto at only one store but they usually have them in stock. They last so long that you don't have to change them very often so they don't sell a lot of them. But a lot of guys use them.

If you go to Carol Kaye's website she sells them at a good price and ships fast. If you order from her tell her her friend in Hamilton recommended her.

I find they really work well with that pickup. I can't think of anything else to do with this bass to improve it, except to lose a few pounds of it's weight (heavy ash body) and lightweight tuners to improve the typical neck dive.

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Thank you.

13. I put them in a parts Precision Bass I had been working on about a few months back and they sounded great in the worship band I was in. With the original pickup, I couldn't hear myself at all and the SPB-3 made it easier to hear what I was doing.