1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basslines SMB-4A vs EBMM stock alnico pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by REME7178, Mar 2, 2013.

1. I found a pair a new Basslines SMB-4A alnico pickups and the STC-3M4 tone circuit that goes with at a guitar store by where I live. I own a EBMM Sting Ray, and I am contemplating installing the Basslines pickup and tone circuit. I am happy with my Sting Ray it has never given me any problems and it sounds awsome with the stock alnico pickups, I know that the stock PU's that the Sting Ray came with from the factory are really great PU's it's one of the selling points and reasons why people aquire and play EBMM Sting Ray bass guitars. I am not sure it can get any better then the way it sounds now. What I want to know is with the Basslines pickups and the electronics will it infact sound even better then it does right now with the stock pickups and electronics? I do not want to waste my time and money to getting them installed if their is no benefit to replacing the current MM PU's, or if after I get them installed I am going to be like *** and just want to rip them out. I can't find any reviews comparing the two, and the people and bass players that I talk to are mixed on their opinions, or they are super vague, or they just tell me IDK/ IDK it's really up to you (WELL NS) I know that, but I want your opinion. Most of the bass players that like the Basslines pickups Play Fenders.

By bass players I asked, I mean 4 and by people, I mean 3, but 2 of them work at the music store and sold me the PU's.

If the Basslines pickups are not as great as the EBMM pickups it's NBD because the PU's I do not use will go into an OLP that my niece plays. In your opinion what would you do, keep my current pickups's or replace with the Basslines pickups?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive got both pickups. the duncan has more upper midrange presence and isnt as glassy. just depends on what you prefer.

3. thanks, for letting me know what the difference in sound would be.

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    My only concern with the pickup on my StingRay 96th Anniversary, is that it has sharp edges at the poles. As I like to touch the strings right on top of pickup, usually my fingers were bruised after a concert. (true)

The last time I brought this bass down on a tour I decided to find a replacement that sounded perfectly and with a more rounded edges. Tried the SMB-4A and Nordstrand MM4.2.

The Duncan sounded really good but the MM4.2 is just like the real, classic MM tone and much more comfortable to play.

5. Anyone else got something to add?