1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basslines SSB4's in a Schecter Custom 4 with pix

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GassieBall, Apr 22, 2009.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I was never happy with my EMG Hz's in my Schecter Custom 4. It had a very hi-fi zingy sound that I think perhaps would be good for metal, but I appreciate a more vintage tone. The bass, on the other hand, plays great and is very lightweight. I thought about selling it, but the resale was not very good, so...

I bought a pair of Seymour Duncan Basslines SSB4's, took out the EMG's and the preamp, put in some 250K pots and a Radioshack DPDT miniswitch for a series/parallel toggle. I guess I could have forked out a little more cash for a matching gold switch, but I like instant gratification and went to Radioshack :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These Basslines totally changed the tone of the bass. It's much more full, and rich, with a warm tone that has quite a bit of burp/growl to it. It is more "vintage" but just by the nature of the humbuckers it's much more "modern" than my jazzes, for example. (I know, apples and oranges). There are definitely less highs than the EMG's had and there is no boost to compensate, but I never have needed that zing. When I pop/slap, it still sounds great, but not over-the-top clanky. Overall, I'm very happy with the change and I've turned the bass from a closet relic to something that I think I'll play out with more.

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I always hated the pickups in my Custom-4 too. It looks like they could be twins!

My solution, for the last year and a half, was to sell it. Every band I've played in during that time frame has in one way or another begged me to play it or I've turned to it. Now, I've learned to love it and it's zingy sound as you called it. It's currently kicking some serious butt through a Peavey Windsor guitar head in a death / prog metal band I've joined as of the show I was at last night. (God Forbid, Children of Bodom, As I Lay Dying, Lamb of God) I could never play it or my jazz through the Kustom Groove Bass rig I have at home. I'd just tone them both in to sound like a clanky P-bass if anything.

Anyways, where I was going with this... Sounds? I considered doing this myself! :D

3. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Woah, if you're going to play death/prog metal, definitely keep the EMG's for that type of sound. The mod I did doesn't go in that direction.

When I have time, I'll try to do some clips.

4. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

Apr 7, 2009
    Netherlands
    I'm considering swapping my EMG 35P4+35J for these pup's. When are the clips coming???;)

5. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Actually for metal I'd recommend swapping the p'ups for EMG-DC's.

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Awesome idea, glad to see there's Basslines in the mix, they really fit the bass well.

You do realize whatever you described is worthless without clips, right? :p

7. Demiurg

Demiurg

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes, I have the same problem with one Schecter Hellraiser V. It has very thin middles, and this is not very good for playing metal - when the guitars includes, the middle freqs from bass dessapear.
    I`m looking for replacement too, but I`m not sure what to replace - pickups or electronics. Do you still pleased with Dunkan`s ?
    I have searched them on BestBassGear, but cannot find your model ...

8. Uche_bass

Uche_bass

Jul 31, 2017
    Argentina
    Two (maybe three) questions: do these have the ability to do a series/parallel switching?
    Do you still like them? Thanks for your time!
    Bonus question: do you mind pisting some some sound samples? If it's an issue don't worry