1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basslines SSB5, EMG40TW, or Bart xxM45's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stflbn, Mar 15, 2008.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Well, I'm still searching for an appropriate drop-in replacement for my stock EMG 40hz pickups in my Schecter Studio5.

I'd planned to use the new Seymour Duncan Exposed coil replacements for 40hz's, but I found my Schecter string spacing is WAY to narrow.
    I measured my narrow spaced Schecter and it measures out at:
    My Neck and Bridge string width total is 61.5mm & 64mm, SD recommended 70 & 74mm. Waaay off.

So, I'm looking for replacements again.

Here's where I'm at and looking for input please.

Basslines SSB-5's

EMG 40TW's
    (Still EMG's but active would be able to wire each of them Single or Humbucker via PullKnob or Switch)

Bart xxM45c
    (Again, can wire them Parallel, Series, etc for more sound options)

The basslines are the lowest cost option, then the EMG's then the Barts. The barts are almost 3x's the basslines.

I'm just wondering others experiences with these 3 pickups. The Schecter is used as an alternative sound to my HH SR5 style OLP mm32.

Thoughts?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Decision made.

Thanks to Brian at LowEnd I'll be going with a set of custom Kent Armstrong dual coil's made to fit EMG 40hz routes. Pairing it with an Aguilar OBP-3.

I'll be doing as many wiring bells and whistles as I can weasel out of Brian when he puts everything in.

Series, Parallel, Single Coil, etc. Mid selector hopefully via Stacked mid knob.

I'm going to do some clips tonight of the stop EMG 40hz pickups in order to compare with with the changed results. I'll likley start a new thread with before / after clips once all the changes are done.

3. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i have dual EMG 40TWs in my spector rebop and its great. much more versatility because of the single/double option on each pickup. but i'm sure your option will sound great too :)

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Over time I just didn't dig the EMG sound. At least the EMG 40hz's. I love the SR5 sound. Loved the Ultra-Jazzes I had in a Frankenbass I traded recently. By comparison the sound I get from the EMG's is just 'uninspiring' for a loss of better words.

To me the sound is nothing in particular, yet not specifically annoying or irritating. Just kind of 'there'.

But... I play 99% fingerstyle, and only covers/originals and no heavier rock/metal that so often calls for the flatter zing/ping type sound so many people seem to prefer.

We'll see next week how the change and transition effects the bass.