Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASSLINES STC2p/STC3p Pre

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Mar 28, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    The usual TB searches didnt reveal anything on these on-board Pre's, and theres nothing in the shootouts on them so if anyone has tried either or has either, what is your impression and what have you fitted them to ?

Thx

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They're perfectly good preamps, used them in a number of basses. The slap contour push/pull feature is very cool.

The newer models have a smaller board size, which is always handy in small cavities

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thx David

I'm thinking of experimenting with one or the other and they seem reasonably priced against the opposition

4. I've used the STC-2A version for active pups. It surely can deliver massive bottom. Just be sure to specify how you want your tone controls made, especially on the 2 band version. I've never used the mid contour option, but it is cool that it is tweakable on the cct board.

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I have the MM version of the STC-3 in my Stingray (along with SD's Alnico MM pickup). It is essentially the same as the standard STC-3, only voiced slightly different to bring out a little more from their MM pickups, so please keep that in mind as I ramble on. I find it very versatile and yes, as the other reviewer stated, you can get massive low end at the extremes. I would say that the circuit definitely leans towards the modern/hi-fi sound, probably not the first choice for someone who's chasing "old-school" type tones. The tone of the circuit is incredibly clean especially in the top end and the mids are voiced REAL nice. It is a fantastic sounding circuit to be sure. I know I've seen this exact circuit used in some of Ken Lawrence's Brase basses, other high-end basses, and a Fodera or two (but don't quote me on the Fodera comment - could have just been SD's pickups). Anyway, I highly recommend it - not having played the Aguilar stuff, I cannot speculate on how it compares tone-wise to the OBP-series preamps. But from experience, I absolutely LOVE SD's preamp circuits - some of the best on the market. I highly recommend it and would personally use this circuit again in future basses. :cool:

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK

I'm not buying direct, but just looking at some on Ebay. So i cant be specifying but rather just getting whats on sale. I'd probably end up throwing the coin at the 3 for the extra option.

Thx to all. Looks like a recommendation !

7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I used the STC-3p at 9v, with a Bartolini P/J setup, fretless maple neck w/ ebony fingerboard, alder body. It always sounded clean and clear, and could really beef up the sound. I agree with the others who have said they enjoyed the "slap contour" feature, especially since the level of countour can be adjusted internally on the preamp itself. Lots of tone variety.

As it happens, I'm currently trying out the Aguilar OBP-3 (just got it installed today) in the same bass. If you're interested in the STC-3p, I'd be willing to part with my, for no other reason than to offset the cost of the Aguilar.

You can email me direct at stringbass69@yahoo.com if you want it. Good luck on your tone quest!

8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    You have an email mr 69 :)

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Just thought i'd add that i also have an OBP3 and will have the choice of either the Ag or SD to be wired up to my Bart J's

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I see that there are two internally adjustable levels, in addition to the aforementioned mid-contour adjustment, what does the other one adjust?

Thanks

11. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Both are used for the slap contour: one adjusts the amount of bass boost and the other adjusts the amount of mid cut.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Right on - thanks man!