Basslines to replace stock Fender J-Bass set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tames, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    For a long time, I kept promising myself to get an active J-set of EMGs. This is before I dramatically changed my playing style, and recorded professionally with my band. Now I realize that's not the sound I want from my Jazz bass at ALL.

I know there are a FILLION threads on "what pickups sound like what" but I don't feel like searching megathreads if someone easily could tell me straight up. I've never tried out any Basslines pickups from Seymour-Duncan but I've heard great things. I just want a really hot punchy sounding grit from my bass when I play hard and something that resembles a thick baby when I'm playing soft. Something SIMILAR but not emulating Timmy C from Rage's tone. I know it's impossible to re-create with all his modifications so I'm not even worrying about that.

I don't really feel like experimenting for months on new sounds and PU configs so I've kind of narrowed it down to a few that I want to try. I've narrowed it down to a few that I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me how they would compare.

The four I'm looking at are Hot, Classic Stack, Quarter-Pound, and Hot Stack. Any sound clips or know of anyone who USES these that I could take a listen? I'm not concerned with numbers... I just want to know like how thick and fat they'll sound... I'm KIND of trying to get rid of the old Jaco nasal sound that I used to love... I just want thickness and fatness.. plus grit while I'm playing hard... nothing too bright, but while I'm playing soft I just want the cleanliness.

ANY input would be rather helpful as I know how cool you guys are... I'm outta here.. thanks in advance guys.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

What you're describing to me sound's like Dimarzio model J's. I've had a Hot P Hotstack J setup that sounds along those lines but I haven't had a pair of hotstacks to know how that would vary. The hot PJ was a decent tone but not that versatile. Q P's haven't had. The classic stacks will get you a vintage Fender J tone. And actually, I don't see where the standard active EMG J's wouldn't get the job done. The DM's, classic stacks, and EMG's are all very versatile pups and you could use something external like Sans DI or whatever to be up anything lacking.

There's no way I know of besides trial and error to get the job done. You can pretty much rule out what you don't want from others feedback but unless you run across someone pulling the tone you want and you duplicate what they've got for what they do, there will be variations which can be not only apparent but major.
  3. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i put a set of QP"S on my jazz and they made mine alot more deep and bright if you crank up the tone ! they sound pretty fat and thick to me. they are not bright at all if you role the tone back .what amp and cab you use will make alot of diff. also!! but the other pups your looking into are nice to! its all in what you like!! good luck :bassist:
  4. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I have the SD Hot Jazz pickups installed in my 2001 MIA Jazz. The bass is strung with TI flats. I play through a GK rig with a tube compressor. Pick and fingerstyle. This is just so you know where my opinion is coming from.

The pickups are a bit hotter than the stock Fenders with a much fatter bottom end. The highs and mids are there, but the bottom is where they excell. They are single coils so are still a bit noisy unless both volumes are maxed, then they are pretty quiet. I have wired them in series in the past and the tone is very big but not at all Jazz like. I have tried them with rounds and although the tone was still fat, I prefer the flats.

I hope this helps a little, I am not very good at describing tone beyond "That sounds awesome!" :)

5. is fillion a real number?
  6. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Fillion comes right after infinity. I cant say "there are a infinity threads." Nor can I say "there is an infinity of threads" or it becomes a metaphor. Fillion exists, trust me.

Used as an example:

This new tone will be a fillion times better than my ex-wannabe Jaco sound. (AKA, basically everyone with a Jazz bass.)