1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basslines tone circuit VS Aguilar OBP-3???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman74, May 24, 2007.

1. bassman74

bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Basslines tone circuit VS Aguilar OBP-3??? Which one is best?

I was going OBP-3 all the way until someone told me about the STC-3 from Seymour Duncan. He told me that they are prewired and versatile.

Anyone has experience with those pre-amp???

It will be match with a bassline MM pickup.

Thanks

Francois

2. Debating the exact same thing but with the 2-band options.

I'm interested to hear opinions...subscribed.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was planning on getting the SD Bassline as well as the tone circuit for my SR. I have no experience playing through either one in an SR though. I do like matching companies...as in SD w/ SD.

I do have an Aggie OBD-3 pre in my Modulus. It sounds awesome. Very smooth and versatile.

4. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    Man i was about to make a thread like this today! great post!

5. i have the 3 band basslines in one of my basses and it is very clean and clear. the boost on the bass stays away from boomyness and the top end cts but isnt brittle, then the mids add/take away a little bark or a bite with a pick. The slap switch is very cool too.

and it was all fitted in my bass within an hour (including me figuring out my P pickup was out of phase with the MM, so polarity was switched hehe).

i havent used an OBP-3 so i cant say either way on that....but i expect it to be very clean.

6. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Given the choice, I'd go with the STC-3. However, the one I had was matched to their active soapbars....fantastic. Very hot signal...defines in-your-face-bass....even at 9V active for the whole deal.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What kind of bass is this?
    And what style of music do you play?
    I had a bass with Basslines + the ST3 preamp and it was in your face BOOM BOOM in the room.

I couldn't take it. The tone was like a G&L L2500 in series mode, on steriods and 3 Red Bulls.

If you play jazz, I would never recommend it. But if you play blues, funk, r&b, rock, heavy metal, etc. Go for it!

This is just my observation and recommendation though. Take it with a grain of salt!

8. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006

9. in my yamaha i have a basslines MM and a wilkinson P5. with the STC-3p pre-amp in and slap switch off and EQ flat, i get a very natural hollowed sound (not mid scooped but both pickups on full hollow), with the P5 yes bass boost can get boomy (but not uncontrolable) with extreme settings. the MM however can take full boost on all EQ's without going funny (the mids add finger noise obviously and a little natural distortion through my amp). the slap switch 'can' make your sound into mud city with the wrong settings on the amp tho so keep an eye/ear out for that.

all of this through my behringer aluminium cone 410 combo set flat, yes it rattles the panelled doors and sash windows (if they are close to the amp), but what good bass doesent.

10. Hi Nice tread

I was thinking of purchase the SD STC-2P for my Fender Jazz Bass

Is it possible to turn the STC-2p pre amp on/off, I mean so the bass can work both passive and active ??

11. im not sure if its a standard mod on the board (im sure the 3 band comes with wiring options for active passive, as it has a warwick replacment diagram) either way im sure it would be quite simple to add a through switch so you put the pre-amp after your tone with a on/off switch (like the jaguar bass has) with signal flowing through to the jack either way. i'll have a look at the leaflet in a bit

12. If I'm not mistaken, the BEQ-3 in the Fender Jazz 24 IV and V is a stripped-down version of the SD pre-amps (fixed mid settings). The Fender JB 24 V has a passive switch so I guess you could use the SD Pre if you have passive pups.

I have the Jazz 24 IV and a Warmoth Gecko with the OBP-3. While the Gecko's finish was curing, I swapped the OBP-3 into the Jazz and there was a significant change in the bass' sound. When it was time to assemble the Gecko, I swapped out the OBP-3 and plunked in an Audere.

13. bassman74

bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    So Jaco D, what are your appreciation of the obp-3 and audere?

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I had the STC-3 in a Warmoth body Explorer bass with Duncan stacked jazz pickups in it. The treble control didn't do much for me but was perfect left at center. The mid and bass controls were phenomenal though! They were set perfectly in the bass so if you cut the mids it was tight and a boost in the bass really added a lot of bounce to it.

15. Love the transparency of the audere and the flexibility in terms of dialing in the tone you're looking for. Likewise I liked the ease in installing the system (it's pre-wired). The Agui has that solid tone when mated with the active SD soapbars on the Gecko. With the different wiring configurations for the obp-3, you have the same amount of flexibility in setting-up your desired tone. Bang-for-the buck, I'd side with the obp-3. Up to now, I'm a bit ambivalent as to which one I prefer.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021