Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines vs Aguilar onboard pre-amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by red_tyr65, May 9, 2003.

1. red_tyr65

red_tyr65

Apr 30, 2003
    hey what you think is better an Aguilar OBP-3 or Basslines a Music Man pre-amp for a 4string Stingray? Also do anybody know any custom/good knock-off Stingray parts (rosewood neck, body, etc.) or a great custom shop in CT or New Enland area?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi there and welcome to Talkbass!

Sometimes the lines get blurry about what should be in pickups, what should be in amps etc.

Anyway, I'll answer briefly. Do a search and you'll find numerous previous threads where we've talked about this.

I replaced the stock pups & preamp on my '90 Stingray 4 with the basslines alnico MM pup and 3 band MM preamp. The difference was amazing, a much warmer bottom end. And the 'slap contour' pull (boost low, cut mid) available on the volume knob is very cool indeed.

For ease of installation, I'd say the Basslines would beat out the Aguilar. The Basslines MM preamp only expects one pickup as input, whereas the Aguilar expects two. That's not a show-stopper, but you would need to do some work with the Aguilar as opposed to the SD which is designed to be basically a drop in replacement system. Plus don't forget the SD slap contour!.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The Aguilar only has one input, so technically it doesn't care how many pickups there are. All the blending is done before the signal hits the preamp.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you're right, duh. For some reason I was thinking of the U-Retro inputs.