Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassLines vs. Antiquity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 26, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've heard rumors that some of the BassLines pickups are muddy and have less than optimal clarity and definition. Those of you who've tried these, can you verify this or would you disagree? Are the Antiquity versions any better? Which would you prefer on a P bass?

2. I have a P-bass with BassLines, and although I haven't heard much of the others, I am sure that BassLines will work. Mine are INCREDIBLY punchy and really work well. It is easier to get a clearer sound than a muddy one. Hope this helps.

-Nick

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey Nonsqtr, I was shopping for a better Pbass pickup for my 1999 Fender MIM pbass deluxe about 6 months ago. I wanted a vintage type tone-the bass has TI Jazz Flats on it.
    I don't know if thats the tone you are looking for, but I'll go based on my experience.

I considered the Antiquity pickup. My understanding is that they are more in the league with Lindy Fralins. I know Fralins are great pickups, especially for vintage tone. That is what the majority seemed to say. Seeing I was looking for that type of tone, thats what I started leaning towards.

Then I was put onto pickups by Carey Nordstrand. Carey hand builds custom basses, and only basses. I began to hear a lot of great stuff about those pickups too-he hand crafts them, as Lindy Fralin hand crafts pickups too.

I spoke in great depth with Jay Lewis at Blueberry Hill bass. He deals in high end gear (Lull, Nordstrand, Roscoe, etc.)Thru both emails, and a phone conversation, he explained a lot about each pickup I was considering. It came down to; Fralins, Nordstrand, or Antiquity.

I chose the Nordstrand NP4. MAJOR inprovement over the so-called "vintage" style Fender pickup. For the sound I wanted, I was completely satisfied! This bass of mine is my absolute favorite.

Jay Lewis is here at talkbass as JPJ. His website is www.blueberryhillbass.com

Again, I don't know what tone you are looking for, but I would make that call to him or email. Jay is a great guy, offeres exceptional customer service, and will take all the time in the world to answer any and all questions.

No matter what pickup you finally end up with, good luck in your search. Let us know what you end up with :hyper:

4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Thanks very much for the detailed reply! I'll give Jay a call. I'm thinking in terms of a 5-string at the moment, does Cary make a 5-string version of that pickup? Does anyone know if the others (including the Antiquity) come in 5-string versions?

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Carey is in the process of finishing up his 5-string singlecoils. Now that he has his new lazer-cutter, he might also come out with a 5-string P-bass pickup as well. It's something that I'm going to encourage, but a 5-string P is not available at this time.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The only five string p'ups made by Seymour Duncan are jazz-style, unfortunately. On the upside, the pickups are exceptionally nice. I've got an SPB-2 in my fretted and it's got a great tone. Punchy and distinct, and each note rings clear.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, Duncan makes the 5-string P pickup that is used in the Lull P5. ;)

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    actually, I have the first set of 5 string Nordstrand J single coils!

Carey and I did a swap a while ago for a set of 5 string Villex J pups.

I never actually used them, I sold the bass they were going to go in.

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    JPJ, do you think Carey could one-off one for Nonsqtr if he really wants one? Carey is special building a NP4 for Arthur Poon, so he can take advantage of his basses S-1 series/parallel option.

Nonsqtr, sorry if I sound like a broken record. It's just that IMHO Carey builds an awesome pickup, and I think you would really be happy with the tone you could get from one-depending on the sound you're after. Actually, even with the TI Jazz Flats on my Pbass deluxe, I can get a variety of tones from it.

I suppose the worst that can happen is that he can't do it. Worth a shot though IMHO. :hyper:

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Now that Carey has his new lazer cutter/doomsday weapon ( :D ), I'm sure that it would be possible. I'm interested in being able to offer a 5-string P pickup myself, so I'd be more than happy to push the issue if Nonsqtr is interested.

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thats why you're the man JPJ! :hyper:

Do you know how that lazer cutter affects the way Carey makes his pickups? I'm curious about that. Maybe Carey will chime in on this?

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It really impacts the covers more than the pickups. The lazer cutter will enable Carey to make his own pickup covers (in addition to other parts) so that he can offer his custom pickups (fat stacks, big singles, etc.) as "aftermarket" pickups. As far as a 5-string P is concerned, it would allow him to design and wind his own pickup and then custom mill the covers for it...just gives him more freedom and control over certain aspects of the process that he can now keep in-house. :)

13. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I was originally looking for a pickup that sounds "exactly like" a P bass, but in a 5-string version. Would you say Carey's pickup is like that, or is it beefier or more modern sounding? How would you characterize it in relation to an "ordinary" P bass pickup?

14. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    All this talk...

I'm interested in chganging the pups in my mia jazz. I'd be lookin fo a real growly tone. Raspy even. Are these something I should be interested in?

15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey Nonsqtr, I only have the "vintage style" pickup from my MIM pbass deluxe to compare my Nordstrand NP4 to. Here is what I found.

The Fender pickup was ok-better than what you would hear in a $100.00 bass. The only thing was, it didn't have much clarity. No matter where the tone knob was, it always sounded a bit mushy-especially when heading to the higher register.

With the Nordstrand, no matter where you place the tone knob, you get a great sound with good clarity on all the notes.

My guy who installed my Nordstrand knows Lindy Fralin-has used Lindy's pickups for years, and really likes them. He didn't know of Carey Nordstrand until he installed these for me. He agreed-these things are definitly in the league with Fralins. He told me he was very impressed with the Nordstrand pickup.
    (To be fair, I have never heard Fralins pickups. My understanding is that Lindy Fralin is one of the nicest guys in the business-and he does build top notch pickups too.)

Quite honestly Nonsqtr, what it came down to for me was that Jay Lewis was a really great guy, who took a lot of time explaining about the differences between Seymour's, Lindy's, and Carey's pickups. Carey's sounded like they would be the best for what I wanted, which was a truly vintage tone. I was not disappointed. These things are hand crafted, and IMHO deliver the goods.

If you haven't yet, get a hold of Jay lewis (also known as JPJ)
    He'll give you all the info you can want on those different pickups. I was only buying pickups, but was treated as if I was buying a high end Nordstrand electric bass!

About the MIA jazz bass-DEFINITLY look into Carey's pickups!
    Smash did a review of both the NJ4's, and the NJ4SE noiseless. I have the NJ4SE in my Pbass deluxe. IMHO you will not regret getting a set of Carey's pickups. JPJ is the man-he'll tell ya!

Hope that helps. Good luck to you guys-hopefully you will choose, then love the Nordstrand pickups! :hyper:

16. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Have any of you heard the Villex P-pups?

17. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Anybody have a good dealer for fralin pickups?

18. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have Basslines in my MIM Jazz, and I rather like them. Clear and growly. As a matter of fact, I'm going to put them in a fretless Jazz I'm considering building from warmoth parts if i get around to doing it at all.

edit: To be exact, they're SJB-3 Quarter Pounders. Neck and bridge positions.

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have the Nord NP4 in my MIA P right now, but I also just received a Villex P which I'll be trying out soon - along with a Bart P which I've heard great things about

20. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I have a bro using one. Unbelievable. Not my kind of tone, but he makes it sound incredible.