Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basslines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cancerkitty, Dec 21, 2000.

1. I'm a relativly new bassist;I've only been playing about five months. Up to now I've been practicing mostly scales and a couple odd songs that I like. I was wondering if there are any good songs, et cetera that a novice should learn. Thanks.

2. what ever makes you happy is what you should practice, maybe try to find something thats to hard and come back to it in a couple of months and see if its easier

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Puppy and Kitty togther - how apt! ;)

4. Well thanks, but I was kinda looking for some specific suggestions, as I don't know a whole lot of good basslines to learn.

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    It all depends on what style of music you like.. Get some tabs from basstabarchive.com for some of your favorite songs and try to learn a few of them.. That's how I learned a lot of my technique and got some good practice in.

6. Ok, i got shown the most ridiculous line the other day. Although i'm not too surprised, it came from my lead guitarist... :D

Anyways its a good learner and makes ppl laugh. Its the Inspector Gadget theme. If you want it email me and i'll tab it out.

other good learner songs, and these are the ones i learnt in the first yr:

Black Night (main riff)Deep Purple
    We're not going to make it- The Presidents of the USA
    Another One bites the Dust-Queen
    Nothing Else Matters- Metallica (email me for that cause the tabs are wrong, the proper way is soooo much easier!)

my email is zapmagic@hotmail.com or send me some suggestions and i'll say yay or nay. I have been playing for 2 yrs so i still remember what i learnt in the first 5 months...

Merls

7. C-Kitty,

I have been playing since june of `00 so I am in the beginner boat too!The way I started learning songs/tabs was just browsing and picking out ones (tabs) that I thought I could tackle,then download the tunes from napster for playing along on the puter.

Here are some fairly easy songs you may want to check out:

The Police "Walking on the Moon"
    Collective Soul "December"
    Everclear "I Will Buy You a New Life" "Father of Mine"
    Scorpions "Rock you Like a Hurricane"
    Cranberries "Linger" "Zombie"
    Midnight Oil "Beds are Burning"

Listen to songs on the radio,etc.Oldies are kewl and have some great basslines(some really complicated too!).

Good Luck and above all....enjoy what you play and you will play well!(if you practice! lol)

Usul