1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassman 135 4X12 Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cmasek, Sep 18, 2008.

1. cmasek

cmasek

Sep 18, 2008
    I've got a Fender Bassman 135 head and 4X12 slant speaker cabinet. The speakers are rather poor sounding and I'm wondering if anyone has got some advice as to what I should replace them with. The head calls for a 4 ohm load. So, if anyone has some specific ideas please let me know. Thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like EVM-12L in a 4x12" for bass... sure others will say they don't go low enough and you are better off buying a real bass cab with real bass speakers, they might be right. Before the collective arm chair wisdom of the Interwebz I loaded a guitar 4x12" with EVM-12L and ran my Ric with a solid state 300 watt head through it (with or without a Yamaha 1x18" PA sub) and thought it was quite a righteous tone. Luckily it got stolen from me before the Interwebz came about to tell me how wrong I was ;)

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Those cabs are presswood, and heavy, so lighten up the thing with four Deltalite2512's in 4 ohm from Avatar. That would make that box just spring to life, and be twice as loud as it was. Better yet, just sell it to me, and I'll do it, and you can save your money!

4. i've got on of those heavy boxes you can buy, j/k, but i am interesting in replacing my speakers as well. Avatar sells just speakers? Would the Carvin 12" neo's be a decent replacement as well?

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    The Carvin's will work, as they are 16 ohms, however they are the early style of the driver, and won't handle as much power, but then again, this amp won't put out much. The advantage of the newer style drivers, is they handle more power, plus the Avatar ones have a longer x-max travel, than regular ones do. I guess price wise, I'd grab up 4 of the Carvin ones ASAP, before they are all gone. Should be all that amp/cab needs to come alive, in a very big way.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Those angled 412's were pretty poor cabinets as far as bass at gig volume goes. Not really due to the speakers being angled but that it eats up all the internal volume needed to get decent bass. The pressboard construction isn't anything to write home about either. I have a bassman135 and to be able to gig with it you need a cab with high SPL, like a 410 or 412. I play mine through a homebuilt 212neo with speakers ordered from Avatar and it's just enough to play a blues gig in a small bar with a 15-20 watt guitar amp and a sane drummer. If you're looking to keep it and fix it without going broke, I'd remove all the angled baffles and put a straight front baffle in it and load it with 412's. The carvins should work alright and they're a good deal, could maybe just leave it as a sealed cabinet as those things are big in going wide and high but are fairly shallow in depth if I recall correctly. If you're looking to go ported with more lowend, load it with 10's. Maybe further ahead just making it into a 215 and loading it with eminence legends or kappalite 3015's but after all that you could build what you really want from scratch. If the carvins are a good deal (and they are) get 4 of them and stick them into what you got and see how you like it. At least you end up with 4 decent drivers that could be rebuilt into a different bass cab, or PA monitors or something.