Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassman 135 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Schecter6, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Schecter6

Schecter6

Jan 26, 2006
    Vernon, TX
    I have a Bassman 135 head that has set in a closet for 8-9 years, I pulled it out and it does seem to have much power. It also sounds very distorted. I have ordered new SoVTEK 6L6's and Electro-Harmonix 12AT7 and 12AX7's along with new sockets for the 6L6's just to be on the safe side. Does anyone know what else maybe going on that a guy can do himself to try to fix this. I live in the sticks there is no music store within an hours drive.

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Sounds like it was the tubes. Let us know when you get the tubes in 'er. Great, great amp. I have the 100 version, which was right before it, but mostly the same amp. I run NOS JAN GE5751s in the preamp, a NOS Mullard 12AT7 in the driver, and Ruby 6L6GC-STRs in the power amp. Great tone. Hope you'll discover this overlooked (by bassists) gem when you get yours all set.

3. Schecter6

Schecter6

Jan 26, 2006
    Vernon, TX
    Thanks for the input. The new tubes will be here Monday and I will post on the results. I welcome any other information that anyone may have on this as well.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

could be time for filter caps, if nothing else a great general maintenance item.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I had one of them, with Groove Tubes Sovtek 6L6s, and that amp just ate them up.... the tubes couldn't handle it.

I do miss that amp, though.

6. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    good news? might just be the tubes.

bad news? you might've screwed the filter caps just by turning the amp on if it hasn't been on in a decade. this is THE situation where you want to bring things up slowly on a variac.

let's hope it's the tubes and it works... otherwise, you'll need a cap job- which could run up to 300 depending on how much of a scam artist your tech is.