bassman 135 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovehunter, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    anyone got any setting suggestions for the bassman to get a fat but clean sound? I love mine and have found several settings I like, but I was wondering what you guys n gals set yours to? Does anyone bridge the 2nd bass channel to the guitar channel for the fatter tone? Any feedback here would be great. I'm using a Spoector Euro 4 through it at the moment and occasionally my fender j mia.

Also, just on a factual basis, I was wondering if anyone knows of any famous songs recorded using one of these little beauties? I heard the guy from Greenday records with one? Not being a green day fan, but I find information highly interesting in a musical sense.

Also, where is flat on these amps? Is it 5,5,5? on the TM & B?

2. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    What date code is stamped on the tube chart, that might help or you could use the date codes on the pots, also some Fender amps from that era(mid '70's) have the date stamped right on the chassis.

I do know that the Bassman 135 was introduced at about the same time as the Ultra Linear Twin Reverb. They have what's probably the same output transformer, it's got screen grid or ultra linear connections on the output transformer primary. They don't have a normal screen supply like most amps where it comes from the power supply right after the choke. Does your Bassman have a choke at all, I don't think some of them do with that output trans.

This output transformer is why it's power is rated at 135 watts instead of 100 like a normal silver faced Bassman with 4 output tubes.

It's got the output tubes matching style bias too.

I've had a couple of those Bassman heads and I've found that to me the normal channel sounds better than the bass channel for everything including bass.

I had a Super Bassman 100 watt that I really liked better, I got it not working in a deal for $100 with a JBL 215 cabinet. It took 19 cents worth of parts and some new tubes to get it working, it sounded very good actually.