Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassman 135 v. V-4/V-4B: Comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, May 27, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I see at least Throbbinut has both these amps. I would like to hear some specific comments on the difference of these two amps.

2. I haven't played the Bassman 135 as much as the Ampeg V4-B, so I'm probably biased towards the Ampeg. If I had to choose between the two amps, I'd pick the Ampeg V4-B. If the Bassman was the only option for a 100 Watt tube amp, though, I'd use it of course. I'm currently running a 50Watt Ultralinear Bassman 10 chassis through 2-15's, and I love the sound. The Bassman 135 is pretty much a 100 Watt UltraLinear version of the 50Watt Bassman I use every Sunday.

The Ampeg has a shock-mounted chassis which will save your tubes. If you use the Fender, or any tube amp without built-in vibration isolation, always put a piece of egg-foam between the cabinet and head. It looks kind of low-rent, but your tubes will last forever that way.

Chris