Bassman 135

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Jan 4, 2001.

1. I bought a mid 80's bassman 135 last year. This thing sounds like an Aguilar. It's got a nice deep, clear, ballsy, tone to die for. I bought it not knowing anything about it. It has 2 -12AX7's 1 - 12AU7, and 4 6L6 Groove Tubes that 2 are 5's and 2 are 7's rated. My guitarist says these were made when Rivera was designing the amps for Fender in the 80's. Does anybody have any further info on these amps? Can I replace the tubes with 6L6GC's, would it ruin the sound? Thanks, Bob
  2. I've got one of those, but I haven't really used it much. The thing is designed for 6L6GC's, so you can put them in it. I bet it would sound best with American tubes in it, so you may want to spend the extra dough and put in a quad of American 6L6GC's or the industrial grade 7581's. Triode Electronics has the 7581's. It'd be $110 for a quad, but they'd probably sound better than the Groove tubes, and they'd last a long time.

Check them out.

I don't know anything about Rivera.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A Bassman 135 is a 70s amp, Fender stopped making tube bass amps in the 80s.

Glad you like it, but if you really think it sounds like an Aguilar you should try the two side by side :)
  4. I wouldn't think the stock power transformer could handle the 6550's extra heater current (1.6A x 4 = 6.4A versus 0.9 x 4 = 3.6A )and extra B+ DC current. This is just my guess, though, cause I haven't tried it and I don't know the 6.3V winding current rating of the stock tranny. Is a new power tranny the extensive mod you're talking about?

5. Thanks Psycho, Does this mod make this ap a 200 watt? Could you E-Mail me the procedure please. I have a guy that did the mods to the Ampeg V4 head. That amp really sounds Ampeggy now! It would be really cool to have a beefed up Fenderry sounding amp.
  6. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    OK.... I love the sound of the V4.... but thy're currently out of range dollars wise.

How does the sound of the Fender differ?
  7. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I had one of those heads about 15 years ago and I hated it but that's totally a taste issue. As far as being reliable it was very good actually, I had Sylvania 6L6's in my amp it worked just fine.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The V4s go for roughly the same amount of money as the Bassman 135s used.

As for soundwise, I think the Fender is slightly clearer sounding, doesn't have the signature Ampeg grunt, but both overdrive nicely.

Ressurecting 5 year old threads is SOO cool!!!:cool:
  9. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    What was wrong with the Fender sound?

I understand the Ampeg has more balls and beef. What didn't you like?

Good for blues?
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Some people just like the cliche Ampeg sound.
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Settle down there mango man, there's a reason it is considered the standard. ;)