Bassman 135

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nikehawk, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    A friend of mine has an old Bassman 135 that I MIGHT want to buy, but I really don't know that much about. It sounded really good with his bass (Fender J), and I would obviously try mine to make sure. I have a few problems though...

1. The amp head (silverface) is running on 3 of 4 tubes. This thing has seen playing time for 20? years, and probably hasn't had any maintenance in a very long time. 2) The cabinet might have a faulty speaker. The cabinet is huge, and I believe its a 4x12, possibly 4x10. He says the cabinet is in good condition otherwise. 3) From my research, I found that it is only 135 watts. This would probably not be enough for a show, so how hard would it be to mic this amp and make it sound good? 4) I know it weighs alot, but I don't know how much (I haven't picked it up yet). I have a Firebass II and Peavey Cabinet that are 50 lbs and 100 lbs respectively, and anymore than those figures could be trouble. 5) I have absolutely no idea how much I should offer for the two together. I figure I want to replace all 4 tubes together, and get the amp checked otherwise, not to mention the possible maintenence of the one speaker. 6) Does anyone have a general amount for replacing the tubes, and such? I know I'm looking at a bit of maintenance, but I want a tube amp and I think this guy could give it to me for dirt cheap. But, how much is dirt cheap? $100? 300? 500?

^Ed McMahon voice on^

^Ed McMahon voice off^ Thanks for any input!!
  2. I have a Bassman 135. I am a tube amp nut. I repair my own amps, so maintenance is not a problem for me. It could get expensive if you have to pay someone to fix your tube amp for you and you treat it rough like it's a solid-state amp. If you are a smart fellow, you can fix it yourself.

1.Don't run it with only 3 of the 6L6GC's in place. That's not good.

2.The speaker will cost $50 + shipping or so to have it reconed.

3.135Watts from a tube amp can be loud, especially when driving an efficient (efficienct usually means BIG) cabinet. It can be mic'ed or plugged through the PA for big gigs.

4.It is heavy. Probably like 60-70 pounds or so for the head. The cab is heavy as lead too. Like 75-100 pounds on it. Wheels are definitely a must.

5.I'd pay up to $200 for the total amp. On ebay it would probably go for like $300-$400, but I'd never pay that much for it. If it was $200, I'd buy it no matter what was wrong with it. That's $100 for the amp, and $100 for the cabinet that has a blown speaker in it. That's a good deal for you, and probably a good deal for him.

6.To retube that amp, you're looking at about $75 for the tubes. If you have to get someone to put them in for you and check bias, add another $50 to that for labor. (Bias has to be checked, or else the thing could eat your brand new tubes in a matter of minutes or days or months. If Bias is set correctly, and you get good quality tubes, the amp will sound great for years.)

Get the amp, if you are ready for the best sound in the mix you've ever heard. All this modern sound everyone is going for may sound neat in the store, but once you get in a band setting, the old sound is where it's at. It has the most pleasing bounce and rumble.

3. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to answer my question!

I knew it wasn't good to run it on 3 tubes, and I told him that....He doesn't listen very well!

$200 sounds like an awesome deal to me! You said $75 for the tubes? Is that per tube or altogether? I can definitely swing $200, though. Thanks!!:)
  4. That's $75 for all new tubes (Russian, not USA old stock). For all USA tubes, it would be about $140 for all the tubes.

To get best performance, it'll need to be re-capped (all new power supply electrolytics). The capacitors in there are at least 20 years old, probably more like 25 years old. Replacing them would result in better performance, maybe a little more power, a little less hum. That'll probably be about $100 or so if you pay a tech to do it. The parts to do it cost about $50 alone.

5. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA

Thanks for the info...

It'll probably be awhile before I can swing an extra 200 bucks, but I'll let you know if and when I get it.
  6. I have a blackface 135 that is in great shap. I paid $275. for the head only. It is probably early 80s circa. I don't know if there is any difference to the silver face ones. Mine sounds great witha 1-15 Scoop cab with a BW 15. These amps like 4 ohms too.

Throbbinut is right, you need to have the amp gone through and a cap job.

I would see if you can get it without the cab. You could use a newer, smaller cab, but it will cost you $$.
  7. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    But will it sound good through a new cab?

I already have a peavey 4x10 tvx.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It'll sound better than through that 4-12 Fender cabinet. I used to own one and it was pure mud.
  9. Yes, it should. I don't know what the impedance is on the Peavey, But a 4 ohm load is preferable. Also, Is the Peavey an effecient cab? I tried my 135 through an Acme B-2, It was pure crap! It sounded like it was powered with an AAA battery.

I would forget the Fedder 4-12, unless you want to store it for collector value. (If it is a matched with the head originally)
  10. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Hmmm....Its a 4-ohm cab....I don't know the efficiency...I can't find it on the Peavey website.
    But, yes the cabinet did come with the head originally, and I don't know if I'm gonna get that too...
  11. That's good. Try it, I'm sure it will be fine. Just remember, the more efficient, the better. Iplayed mine through a Carvin 4-10, and it was not very loud.
    I'll post a new thread. Look for the responses.