Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassman 200 Troubles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scooch, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    I just bought this amp new from a store about 2 weeks ago. Everything was working fine until I started playing it at about 3/4's full volume/gain.

I was playing it and it decided to cut out on me and the clipping led came on and it wouldn't play any notes, there was just a loud humming coming from it. I let it sit for 20 minutes turned it back on and it was fine. This happened again, I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then lightly tapped it on the top and it started working again. Now tonight the same thing but I cannot get it to work at all, it's been doing this for a good 2 hours.

I would like to try to troubleshoot this/fix this problem myself because the shop where it is warranted has about a 2-3 weeks wait. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Also would be playing through a distortion pedal have anything to do with this preamp clipping? :help: :crying:

2. DO NOT attempt to repair it yourself. It will immediately void your warranty--and what if you cannot fix it yourself? Now you're hosed!!!

I'd take it back to the shop pronto and demand either a new amp or my money back. "No way will I wait two to three weeks for it to be repaired, thank you kindly, the amp is only two weeks old." Be polite but firm, ask to speak to the manager if necessary. The amp is under warranty!!! You could try another store, if you have the receipt....Another option is to try to deal with the manufacturer directly, call their customer service. You may have to send it in and wait, though.

P.S. I'm assuming it still does this without the distortion pedal being plugged in?? If you've got the pedal plugged in, UNPLUG IT and try again.

3. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    Yes, the distortion pedal is unplugged. Has anyone else had a simular problem with the bassman series, I read a review that said it had bad soldering. Could this be the problem because when I touched the top the second time this happened it started to work?

4. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Hey I have a Bassman 200 thats had soldering issues. I had input jack solder joint problems and then a problem with one of the solder joints on the main Power Capacitor. (It would cut out and HUM, but when tapped it would work again for a while !!) It was fixed simple + cheap but I dont recommend servicing it yourself especially if its under warranty ! The main power capacitor solder joint just needed to be re-heated. PS : I left a BAD review re this on Harmony Central. Send it in for service, it can be dangerous to repair yourself, it may take a couple weeks but get it fixed right ...

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I had many problems such as like what you are talking about w/my bassman 200. I had the input jack go bad twice. It would quit playing all together, buzz loudly, and then sound fine-if i hit the top of it it would work well for abit. My solution? I get tired of paying for the same repair so i replaced it. [we didn't have the receipt so had no proof of warranty]. That is why i now have my rack setup. :) I recently took the speaker out of that combo. It sounds nice in my Avatar B115h. :) That's all

6. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    That doesn't sound good. I took it back and luckily they had another one in stock (the bassman 2000 is discontinued) I would like to avoid this problem again do you think the reason why this happened was because I had a distortion pedal going with it?

7. Possibly, but I wouldn't reccomend using an overdrive anyway because there is no way to turn off the tweeter without screwing up your EQ. I had some issues with my Bassman 100 until I tried using the limiter, did you have it on? It has performed flawlessly ever since...

8. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Dude you had a hard electronic failure. Dont worry ... It wasnt anything you caused !! .... But to protect your speaker, make sure you set the limiter button + adjust your gain / compressor to avoid the pre-amp clip LED coming on.