1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassman 200 -- Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    These are turning up at very deep discount recently and I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this particular model.

I've heard a bit about the much smaller ones, but I'm wondering about this larger and more powerful example.

Seems like it could be a good small-venue amp or a good one for gigs backing acoustic acts.

As always, thanks for any help.

2. I had a Bassman 100..
    At the prices GC is spitting them out at ...I think it is an excellent buy..
    Go for it

3. For $350 it is a great buy. I'd imagine it can keep up w/ a band fairly well!

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    What prices are you seeing on them at GC?

MF has them for $350, which is a pretty deep discount, though they are backordered for at least a month.

Unfortunately, they really stick you on shipping, too, which is sort of odd. Instead of paying "additional" shipping, they seem to be hitting you for the entire amount (in my case $40), which seems pretty unfair when they're paying more than that for "free" shipping of >$199.99 of cheap guitars.

I was going to buy an entire drum set on deep sale a while back and they only wanted a measly $16 more for shipping. What gives with that? :confused:

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The 200 served me well in a 5 piece band with a loud drummer.

6. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I have the Bassman 400 head. The bassman line of amps have a really warm sound for a solid state amp. The enchance feature is great for fingerstyle and slap.

I played a few basses through the 200 at Levi's in DC. This amp could hold its own in a big band. Plenty of headroom and a tone you can be satisfied with.

7. I have a Bassman 200 and completely love it.

It replaced a GK MB-150, which I erroneously thought would be the answer to my needs.

The BM200 is light (that's very important to me) gives a great tone with no need to spend weeks sorting out the knobs. From my experience, its just - set everything at 12 o'clock and slight tweak to get my sound.

I easily cut through in a 5 piece band, yet its beautifully controllable when I play low volume gigs. I use an active J and a passive P through it and both work brilliantly.

Pior to the GK I had a 550W Jansen, which just never did what I wanted. In comparison, the BM200 is just the ticket.

If all you need is a single 15" combo, with attenuatable horn, light, easy to use with a great tone - I'd heartily recommend the Bassman 200. If you want to use multiple cabinets - look elsewhere.