Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassman 200 -- Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    These are turning up at very deep discount recently and I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this particular model.

I've heard a bit about the much smaller ones, but I'm wondering about this larger and more powerful example.

Seems like it could be a good small-venue amp or a good one for gigs backing acoustic acts.

As always, thanks for any help.

2. I had a Bassman 100..
    At the prices GC is spitting them out at ...I think it is an excellent buy..
    Go for it

3. For $350 it is a great buy. I'd imagine it can keep up w/ a band fairly well!

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    What prices are you seeing on them at GC?

MF has them for $350, which is a pretty deep discount, though they are backordered for at least a month.

Unfortunately, they really stick you on shipping, too, which is sort of odd. Instead of paying "additional" shipping, they seem to be hitting you for the entire amount (in my case $40), which seems pretty unfair when they're paying more than that for "free" shipping of >$199.99 of cheap guitars.

I was going to buy an entire drum set on deep sale a while back and they only wanted a measly $16 more for shipping. What gives with that? :confused:

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The 200 served me well in a 5 piece band with a loud drummer.

6. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I have the Bassman 400 head. The bassman line of amps have a really warm sound for a solid state amp. The enchance feature is great for fingerstyle and slap.

I played a few basses through the 200 at Levi's in DC. This amp could hold its own in a big band. Plenty of headroom and a tone you can be satisfied with.

7. I have a Bassman 200 and completely love it.

It replaced a GK MB-150, which I erroneously thought would be the answer to my needs.

The BM200 is light (that's very important to me) gives a great tone with no need to spend weeks sorting out the knobs. From my experience, its just - set everything at 12 o'clock and slight tweak to get my sound.

I easily cut through in a 5 piece band, yet its beautifully controllable when I play low volume gigs. I use an active J and a passive P through it and both work brilliantly.

Pior to the GK I had a 550W Jansen, which just never did what I wanted. In comparison, the BM200 is just the ticket.

If all you need is a single 15" combo, with attenuatable horn, light, easy to use with a great tone - I'd heartily recommend the Bassman 200. If you want to use multiple cabinets - look elsewhere.