Bassman 2x15 Tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Sep 12, 2005.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    What could I expect from a vintage Fender Bassman loaded with 2 JBL D-130's? I have an ampeg V4 that I would be using. From other threads it seems as if the cabinet won’t get very low but will have a different "distinct" tone. Could anyone elaborate on this tone? (dirty/distorted? loud? would it keep up with a trio indie rock band?)
  2. I am assuming they are D130F speakers. The "F" (for Fender) was a redesign by JBL at the request of Leo Fender because Dick Dale kept blowing the D130 speakers with the massive (for the time) power he was using. These are great guitar and steel guitar speakers. For steel guitar there are only two holy grail speakers: the D130F and the Peavey 15" Black Widow.

However, I don't think of them as great bass speakers and I think you would blow them using typical modern bass power. The great JBL bass speaker in my mind is the D140. Perhaps others will disagree with me, but if I had that cab, I would dedicate it to my steel guitars and be ecstatic.
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    They're very low power and Xmax, under 100Wrms and <1mm respectively. To give a reference, my 15" bass drivers are 700W and 8mm. Agreed the D130's are excellent guitar speakers.
    In the correct cab, at low volumes, eg studio/bedroom only, they'd be OK
  4. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    My Bad! I forgot to read over my post and I MENT to say loaded with D140's. K140 would be a similar substitute?
  5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Back in 1971, I'd been using Fender bass amps and speakers. What a revelation it was the first time I played through GOOD bass speakers! (Sunn, Ampeg, Acoustic, etc.)

The D140 is a very nice low-power driver. But Fender cabinets ... how shall I say it ... SUCKED. Your Ampeg head is fine, but don't waste your money on vintage Bassman speakers!
  6. jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Listen to any live Jimi Hendrix or live Grateful Dead from the 60-74 era to hear the sound of JBL D140's. The 130 is not quite as bassy. When you use D130's my advice is to play with fingers only, no popping or slappin.
  7. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Hendrix's D140's were through WAY more efficient Sunn cabs though
  8. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i use to run my all tube fender 300 ps thru a vintage sunn 15 and it took the power like a champ. was sunn and fender the same back then?
  9. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Not until mid-80s. But after the 70s Sunn was just a shell of a company anyhow
  10. i remember getting some quite nice dark tones when pushing a b.man215 with an hartke3500.
    but it didn´t sound so good with the volume turned up LOUD.
    i have been using a V4 together with that cab and a 412 guitarcab and the sound was alright. they worked great together, but alone i thought of it as "floppy"-sounding.
    at lower levels the sound is alright but there really are much better cabs out there...
  11. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Thanks everyone for helping out! You all encouraged me to go for the Sunn 2x15 rig!