Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassman 300 Pro question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Horny Toad, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    My current setup is Solid State, but I've decided to experiment with tubes. I just ordered a Bassman 300 Pro to try with my Schroeder 310212. Anyhow, I'm wondering - how do most people transport their heads? Do you mount your head in a rack case of some kind? If so, how is that done? My 300 Pro won't be moving much, but when it does, I want to make sure it's protected.

Also, will it be safe to just sit it on top of the 310212, or will the tubes or any other components be damaged by vibration?

I'm a total tube noobie, so I appreciate the help. :)

It ought to be interesting to compare volume levels between a bridged Crest CA9 (2000 SS watts) and the Bassman (300 tube watts) with the Schroeder. :D

[​IMG]

2. The Fender 300T is in what they call a top box. It sits on top of the cab. There is no provision for putting it in a case and mounting it there. I guess you could try to find a case bigger than the head and put it in there, But it would be easier to buy a padded cordura cover for it with bottom straps. It will protect it from most dings and stuff. It would also be a good Idea to get an auralex amp stand/pad to put under the head To dampen the vibrations from the cab to the head. Also when you have moved it a few times or just played it for a while check to be sure the tubes are still seated in their sockets. :bassist:

3. One problem I am having with my 300t is that its too damm big to fix on the auralex pads :help: are there any larger alternatives?

(sorry about the thread hijack but its pretty related)

4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Oh, so it won't fit on an Auralex "Sound Isolation Riser"? What are my alternatives?

[​IMG]

5. A guitarist I play with has his tube head (a Mesa Triple Rec) in a road case. Its just a road case that has foam on the inside that the head fits very titely into. It has no provisions for securing it into the case, just a friction fit. He sets it on top of his cab, which is also in a road case, and removes the front and rear of the cases and plays through it. I'm pretty sure it was a custom order but you could get something like that made too. A lot of custom case builders were mentioned in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217488

6. I have the Fender 300 PRO with the schroeder 310212. I've been looking around for a flight case or padded cover or something for the head too, but haven't found anything available yet? I don't think you need to put a vibration pad under the head, the feet are pretty big and rubber... and the head has those tube gadgets to hold the tubes in/down

Ps. the head only just fits onto the top of the cab. And I think that you will be amazed at how loud this combination will get (probably louder than the crest!)

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Horny Toad,

One advice: take your time to tweak and play with the settings of the Amp. There are lots of good tools built in the head and you need some time to really take advantage of them.

As for the power, I am certain the Fender Pro 300 could easily push two Schroeder 310212 cabinets without suffering or being shy at all :bassist:

Also, I don`t think you need an extra cushion in between the cabinet and the head thus to prevent the tubes from moving. The tubes are kept in place well and the rubber underneat the amp is sufficient, in my opinion. If you find a tool that suits your needs it would be even better.

Have fun and enjoy !

8. Problem with that is the foam acts as insulation, and it can get toastier than usual in a tube head is left like that

Ive got my SVT in a standard rack case, it was in that for 10 years before i got it, and it still had the original tubes in it, dont use anything between the cab and amp head anymore, just overkill really :)

9. A little off topic but the other day I got to our rehearsal space a little early so I was playing my YBA200 a little louder than usual :bassist: and I noticed that after I would stop playing for about a second I could hear the tubes vibrating through my speakers.

Is this normal? I guess with the whole band palying its not something I ever noticed before.

10. If you are sure the rattle is coming through the speakers, then its a tube going microphonic

11. that would suck because these are pretty new tubes. I will have to check more closely next time

12. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Thank you everyone for the advice!

Turlu - yes, I plan on doing lots of fiddling around with the controls. From what I understand, the 300 Pro gives you lots to play around with. Part of the fun is learning what your new equipment can do. :D

[​IMG]

13. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Horny,

Also don`t hesitate to swap the preamp tubes for Tesla/JJ if you want to try them or another brand of tubes. You might find a difference in the Tone as well.

Have fun !!!! and, please play at acceptable volume levels for your ears !!!! This rig can do some serious damage !!!! :bassist:

14. Maybe it would fit on that one, I have been looking at Grammar Pads and MoPADs, both of which would not fit under a 300t/300 Pro.

I couldn't find a "Sound Isolation Riser" on their web site though? Unless you mean the hover pad drum riser thing?

15. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Turlu,

You were SO right! I relocated the feet on the bottom of my 300 PRO so it fit better on top of my cab. Fired it up and started fooling around. Boy was I disappointed. Mud. Just plain mud. I thought "Uh-oh, I just flushed $1200 down the hopper".

Then I read the manual. :D Started fooling around a bit. Really took my time and experimented with the tone controls, blending channels 1 & 2, messing with the EQ, bright switch, compressors, etc. Little by little I started really loving what I heard. Full, thick, round, warm, "blooming" sort of tone, but not muddy. Not brittle either, but you can get this amp to be almost solid-state like in sound. Almost. I spent about four hours total just playing and learning. Won't get to see it again for another week because it stays at my band's rehearsal space which is an hour away from home. :crying:

Anyhow, I still have to spend a lot more time with it to become familiar, but I'm really happy with it. It's my first experience ever with a tube amp, so obviously I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm happy. It has an interesting personality. My solid-state amp/pre doesn't.

As for volume - I still can't get my mind around how 300 watts can be SO loud. Wow. Totally different quality to the sound than what I get from my Bmax/CA9, but loud as heck.

I'm hoping this is the beginning of a good, long relationship with my new amp. :) :bassist:

[​IMG]

16. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Glad to hear !!!!

Don`t hesitate to swap the tube preamps on it after few rehearsals. You will experiment even more !!!

You and I have two things in common: the 300T tube head and the Rickenbacker 4001V63 !!! Both sound great together !!!

Have fun with the new rig and experiment, experiment !!! Me, it was the compression knobs that took me a while to get used to.

Also, the mid notch is simply magic on these beasts !

17. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Yeah, I love my Ricks. :D I was using my 4003 while experimenting with the 300 PRO. Next week I'll bring my Spector or maybe my Status-Graphite and see how the amp behaves with a more "modern" sounding bass. My Schroeder 310212 might arrive this week, so maybe I'll get to see how that sounds. Until then, the PRO is powering two 8-Ohm Aguilar GS-212's.

[​IMG]

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Toss some 5751 to give it a darker, mellower tone to it. I really like the 5751's in my Sunn 1200S (which I am going to transplant over to my YBA200 that is on the way)

19. This head is power, and I mean it. It can cause most cabs to start farting out on the low B at only half it's volume, with eveything set flat!

Question: Where exactly in the preamp chain, is the compressor located? before or after the eq and gain stages?

20. Hey guys, anyone know how to control the Line out level of the amp? is it controlled by the gain knob or the master volume or what? and also, is the XLR out protected from phantom power?