Bassman 400 issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Sep 1, 2004.

1. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i have a bassman 400 head...i run it through a peavey 215 that i put carvin emenence speakers in (at gigs i use 2 215 cabs)...i puch that amp hard...i use many different distortions...and the red clip light is on quite a bit...the other day it switched i flipped the swtch off and back on and it was only explanation for it is that there is a circuit breaker in there for safety issues... has never done that before...and th new speakers were a recent addition...the cabs(i redid two) were originally wired to 4 ohms...the new cabs (because of the speakers) are a nominal 3 ohms. could that be why the breaker tripped? or did i just over work the preamp?
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you're driving two 2X15 cabs with a 400 watt head you may be trying to do too much with 400 watts. Try using one 2X15 cab and see if it works better.
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I have a Bassman 400 head which will run all day at 2 ohms. (It is rated at 4 ohm min, but Fender verified it would run at 2.67, at least).

I may has misinterpreted what you wrote, but to me it looks like you have two cabs which are 3 ohms each.

If you run both together, you are putting a load of 1.5 ohms on the amp. No wonder it is shutting down!

Like the other guy said, go with one cab...

4. WAY too much load on a 400 watt amp ...Not sure which Eminence speakers you're using , but I run Eminence Omega Pro's in my cab (1x15"/1x12" , 2 bullets ). The 15 is rated at 800 watts and the 12 at 700 watts . Check the rating on your speakers. Too little power will blow speakers way faster than too much .....
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You overworked the output stage of your amplifier and the thermal protection kicked in. You really need to not go below a four ohm load with this one. Four 15's would be ok if the total impedance is four ohms; two eight ohm cabinets.
  6. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i havent checked this in a while...but i was using only one 215 wired to a niminal 3 ohms...any other ideas?
  7. I have the same amp and called Fender some time ago. They confirmed that the amp can handle 2 Ohms. That being said you still may be pushing the amp too hard and the thermal protection kicks in. But there are other possibilities for this to happen. A dirty/dusty amp, the air flow etc.

From what I know you can not damage an amp by using speakers that can handle more watts than the amp puts out. I actually learned that it's recommended to use higher rated cabinets, because many amps can (and will) put out more (clean) power than they are rated for. Depending on the power supply and capacitors.