Bassman 60 buzzes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jul 10, 2001.

1. My new Fender Bassman 60 makes a honking buzz on the first three frets of the E string. F,F# and G sound awful. F# in particular sounds the worst. I thought it was my bass, (Mexi Jazz) and changed strings, neck and now pups. The amp still honks on the low notes, but open E sounds OK. Same thing when I play my Hamer Cruise through the amp. I have my bass volume at ten and the amps volume at five. At low volumes the amp sounds OK, but who's having fun at low volumes? Wassup wit dat???
  2. Rick, I have the same amp, and, although I'm no amp expert I have a theory on what's causing the buzzing assuming it's NOT the basses. I used to have a Kustom 125watt head with a 2x15 bottom years ago, and somehow blew one of the speakers. The amp sounded fine except for certain notes as you're describing. After I had the blow speaker replaced, the technician said that the speaker's cone had partially pulled away from the rubber at the frame's edge, and this is why some notes sounded bad and not others. I don't know if this is true, but this is what he told me. I can't think of anything else.

Joris, MikeyD, are you guys out there?

Mike J.
  3. I called Musician's Friend and the customer service guy was way cool. I put the guy on speaker phone and played through the amp so he copuld hear how bad it sounded. They are going to email me a UPS label to go along with the return authorization number so I can send the amp back to them for repair or replacement. UPS on this beast would be about $40, so I'm real happy not to have to pay that. I bet they don't try to fix this one and just send me another.
  4. That's what I think they'll do. They'll send you a new one, send the one with the problem back to Fender, where they'll remedy the problem in 5 minutes, then they'll send that one back to M/f.

Hope it works out.
    Mike J.
  5. See? This is why you keep your reciepts!!!:D

I have a 60 too, and I haven't had that problem. It does sort of sound like a blown speaker, but I ain't no electrician, so it could be something else.

Hope they send you a new one, mess up, and send you a 100-watt version instead.

Rock on