Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassman 60... loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drei, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Drei

Drei

May 11, 2004
    I am currently playing through a crate BX-15 (way too quiet for band practice). There is a used Fender Bassman 60 at the Guitar Center near me, and I love the sound I get from it. However I have heard some people say that it still isn't loud enough for playing with a band/drummer. I was wondering what the opinions of people at TB are about whether or not the Bassman 60 will be adequate.

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    100+ if the drummer has a heavey hand, you may want more.

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Depending on your situation, it'd *probably* do the job but you'd be pushing it pretty hard and you probably wouldn't be too happy with the tone at that level. If I were you, I'd look for something in the 200-300w range minimum.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    How much do you have to spend?

5. i think 400 watts Solid state, would get you by in "most" situations.

6. Muhwi

Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    Finland
    The Bassman is a tube amp (if we're talkin anout the old Bassman, if not then you can skip this post :) ), so if you don't mind some growl in your sound it gives you very much, I'd say enough (dunno about your drummer though) power. My 100w tube Marshall JMP is much much louder than a 300w solid state Ampeg I tried (with the same cabs, same bass and in the same room), turning the Ampeg's volume to 10 still didn't give me as much sound as my JMP with volume at about 5. Not to mention the horrible sound of the cranked ss Ampeg... So, if the drummer you're playing with isn't horribly loud I think you'll do fine with 60w of tube power, at least until you get to play stadium gigs.

This is my opinion, the best would be if you could somehow test the amp with your band and see if it's loud enough. Drummers tend to get louder as they play more (and lose their hearing), but I've had no problem so far with my "only" 100w amp, I very rarely have to turn the volume knob over 2 in a band rehersal. And yes, we play rock and our drummer's a loud one. People underestimate the power and most of all the sound of a good ol' tube amp :)

7. I laugh at my guitar players Line 6(sux) heads, when I crank up my Mesa 400+.

8. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Not enough power! Even with a tube amp, which will sound good when you push it, you won't be competing with a drummer and a loud guitar or two.
    That being said, the size of the room matters. It still might work fine for rehersals (in a smaller room) and suck on the gig. All the tube amps everyone is talking about on talk bass are much bigger than this. I used ampeg B-15's to good effect on small rehersals; but it never would have cut a bigger room.