1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassman 60 Needs More Ummph

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Apr 3, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    A friend in an all girls band that I sub for when one or more of them is pregnant, is struggling with this underpowered 60 watt 112+T combo. Given my predilection for powered cabs, I thought a good solution would be for her to get an active sub (15" or 18" 600 watts or so) and run that in the FX loop of her combo using the high pass output into the return. My thinking is that the sub would get all the lows (depending on where she sets the X-over) and the combo would only have to deal with the mids and highs. She'd still be plugging into the input on the combo and using it's preamp and EQ facilities.

Is there a better option? Budget is $600 max.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    600 bucks would buy a used head and cab. I'd be looking for a decent sized rig and start over. But, that's me. I'd ditch the Bassman 60.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I doubt the bassman is that good with mids and highs.
    I'd suggest just a full range powered speaker. Use it to face the audience and the bassman as a monitor.

4. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    @Rickenboogie: That's kinda what I thought, but....

@seamonkey: A year ago I would have told her to get a Carvin LS1503A and do exactly as you say, but now that's been discontinued....

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Wow - Carvin ls1503a Discontinued?
    I hope they're up to something like revising the amps to class-d.

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1 with Ricken....
    First place I'd check out would be the T.B. classifieds.
    Earlier this week a TB'er bought a good condition, 700 watt, G.K. 1001 head from the classifieds for $350.00!
    With Genz-Benz and MarkBass having new models coming out lots of players will be moving their last years models so they can get the newest, latest, and greatest....some bargains can be had!!!!

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if it were me, i would take the handle off of the bassman 60 and slide a new amp under it. :)

8. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Yes, ditch the fender.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1 to getting a better rig overall.

Never mind that a powered sub will weigh about eight tons.