1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassman Cabinet, I think??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JJinBarrington, Jun 6, 2011.

1. JJinBarrington

JJinBarrington

Mar 3, 2011
    Looking for some info

I have a bottom that I bought with my 1967 Bassman silverface head - 2x12cabinet, Oxford 12T6-9 speakers, Cabinet # p38592 outside metal tag - F011368 on inside - stamped

Does that sound like an original Bassman bottom with bass quality speakers???

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It may be an original Bassman, the dimensions will tell:
    The Fender Amp Field Guide

But Bassman or otherwise it does not have bass quality speakers. Fender used the same drivers for guitar and bass, mainly because in 1967 bass specific twelve inch drivers did not exist.

3. JJinBarrington

JJinBarrington

Mar 3, 2011
    So if I replace those old Oxfords, what make of 12 inch Bass speaker would you recommend?

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You have to computer model the cabinet and consider the amp used to determine the best driver choice. I wouldn't use an old Fender cab without major modifications, the first being to port it.

5. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Mar 5, 2010
    I wouldn't mod that cab. It's a classic. I think those cabs/oxfords sound good - old school.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't touch it. Any bass speakers you put in there will be limited by the small cab size, and it won't do you any good over the Oxfords. Just take it for what it is...a very good guitar cab ;)

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If it's a Silverface the cab size is fine. And it's not a '67, it's a '68 or later. If it's a '67 it's a Blackface; the cab may be the smaller or larger version, depending on when it was made. Even if it's a small cab it can be reloaded and made considerably better than as originally done. The only way I wouldn't touch it is if it's pre-CBS, but the '67 wasn't.

8. Some people really like the "compressed" sound of an old sealed Fender cabinet. I would like a large Fender 2X15 with JBL speakers, classic sound for bass. Similar to the Ampeg 810 design with two individual speakers in a sealed enclosure.

Gale