1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassman Decisions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Down_Low, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I've read a whole lot of threads on the Bassman 100T and the Super Bassman, but wanted to ask a couple of specific questions. I've been eyeing these two amps off for over a year now, and will shortly have the cash to finally get one. It will be an upgrade to my Aguilar TH500, which I'll still keep as a backup/lightweight option, and I'm planning on getting a Fender Neo 410 to go with whichever head I get.

I've been talking to a guy here (I'm in Australia) selling a 100T, although he may sell it before I get the $ together. If I can get it, that answers my question though, as it's at a great price, and they rarely come up used. However if I miss it, I'm either going to get a 100T (I've heard they're discontinued, although they're showing on the Fender site again, and I believe a local shop still has one) or a Super Bassman new - price wise there's not a whole lot between them new. However I'm not sure which would be better for my needs. I play in a fairly loud punk rock band, but every gig we play has FOH support, so it will just be for stage volume and practise (which is loud), and to be mic'd/DI'd up. I do like some dirt in my tone, so I don't mind pushing the tubes a bit, and this is actually one of the reasons I'm going all tube.

One reason I'm liking the 100T is the silent recording and DI post-power tubes, definitely something I could use when recording. I believe a Radial JDX will also do the same post power tubes thing though, as long as it's hooked up to a cab?

So apart from the standard "is the 100T loud enough" (definitely an important question), I'm also wondering if the SB sounds good with it's volume turned down through a 410? I know some amps just don't open up well at low volumes, and I'd be a little worried that a 300w all-tube amp might be too much for smaller shows?

So basically it's the quieter, lighter, better for recording 100T vs the louder 300w Super Bassman. For those that have used/owned both, what are your thoughts?

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    SB300 sounds fine turned down if you like a clean sound, but it won't give you the tube amp grind you can get from the 100T at those volumes although you can use the overdrive to get grind from the preamp (not quite the same). I have owned both and kept the SB300 over the 100T which I found went into power tube grind too early for me with the speaker I was using at the time, no doubt a more efficient speaker or multiple speakers would have addressed this. I also like that the SB300 has 65550 tubes whereas the 100T has SL6s, although I have been told this should not make a big difference. You are right in considering that the 100T has the DI post power amp, unlike the SB300, and this may be a major consideration for you.
    They are both great amps, but for me the extra watts and cleaner tone available at loud volumes sold me the SB300. Certainly the SB300 is not compromised at lower volumes.

rodl2005 and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  3. Thanks Tim, was hoping you'd chime in. It was your posts that helped sell me on the Bassman amps in the first place.

What cab/s are you using now with the SB? And what did you have the 100T running through?

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I was running the 100t into a bergantino nv115 which does take a bit of driving. I run the sb300 into a berg nv215 or the fender neo 810 cab. Sounds great with either.

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I would definitely go with the Super Bassman over the 100T. It sounds great turned down and the drive channel is the best on-board drive I've seen on any amp (guitar or bass) - so you can get a nice grindy tone at any volume. If you're playing through a single 410 with a loud punk band, I'm not sure the 100T would be loud enough. I thought the 100T sounded good, but the Super was great - having an added thickness behind each note that's just addictive.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings From The North

Gotta agree with Tim 1 & Alexander on this. I have had mine for a couple of years now and have thoroughly enjoyed what this tube amp from Fender delivers. Go with the SB300 you will be so sonically grateful.

Rezdog

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  7. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I have to agree with everyone else here. The Super Bassman is the way to go. I was looking for another all tube amp and from my research the SB300 has everything you could ever want in a good tube amp.

8. Question...
    I see mention of "DI post power tubes" ??
    Isn't DI pre or post equalization rather than post power tubes?
    Wouldn't post power tubes be amp output as in, hook to speakers?
    Perhaps I am not familiar with this phrase and I am interpreting it to be something other than what it sounds like to me.
    Hope someone can fill me in. Just curious. Thanks.

9. WRM

WRM

Aug 2, 2015
    StL
    I'm guessing post-power tubes, but pre-transformer.

Cheers,

10. Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like the Super is the way to go (unless I can pick up the 100T used, it's too good a price to turn down, and can always go with a bigger cab if necessary).

What's the weight difference like on the two?

11. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I have no issues of playing low volume, or high volume. The sounds are always there. The Super Bassman, and Bassman 410 Neo.

AXFR3Et.

rodl2005, Down_Low and WRM like this.
  12. Id go Super Bassman all the way. And I'd bet in a LOUD band thru a 410 you could get into power tube drive territory.
    I do with a single 115
    Thus
    20150919_010433_zpst57d5xqz.
    Or keep it clean (& loud) with 2
    20140704_142839_zpsvgiy6hm7.

But tonight I used this. ..
    V4B into 2 Bassman Pro Neo 115s
    20160212_171724_zps1sjdob1e.

Down_Low likes this.
  13. Ps.... that fan got itself rocked of its precarious perch after a few songs. :rolleyes:

14. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Always love seeing your pics, Rod!

15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The di on the 100t is definitely post power tubes, the sb300 is not. I believe the 100t has some form of power soak or something to allow this to happen. To provide the same for 300 watts of tubes would have been prohibitively expensive and bulky. The di out on the sb300 is still excellent and I have had no complaints from sound guys.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  16. It could well be that the DI is fed from a dedicated winding on the OPT. It’s where I would get it. The amp will still require a load.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  17. OK. Thanks for the info. So it is a sample, post tube, and not the full monty. That makes sense to me now.

18. I see, I was wondering about transformer iso for this. Cool! Good info. Thanks.

19. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

With the SB 300, 300 watts is 300 watts of tube power, when you set the impedance. An 8 ohm cab will give 300 watts. You don't need to have two 8 ohm cabs to get 4 ohms to get full power from the SB tube head.