1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bassman pro 300/sunn model t comparison?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by easternbull, Nov 6, 2010.

1. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Anyone owned/played the original sunn model t's and compared them to the bassman 300pro? Is the 300 pro similiar?Same but diffrent? This guy uses his modelt as a guitar amp, but still thinks the fender sunn reissues sounded nothing like the original.

Maybe changing the tubes to svetlanas powertubes could help..

Riduculously expensive amp, but still interesting, no one sings or plays guitar scott by the way.

2. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Alright somethings to clear up:

Are you talking about the 1970s Model T, or the later Sunn 300T? If you are talking about the 300T, then it is exactly the same as the Bassman 300.

Fender, in the 90s, did reissue the Model T, but as he says, it is really nothing like the 1970s model. The 90s Fender model was 50w I belive, compared to the 120w-150w of the 70s Sunn one. The only similarity between the Bassman 300 and the original Model T is that they both had the Sunn badge. Nothing else. And they can use 6550/KT88 style tubes. Otherwise completely different amps.

Bassman 300= 300w monster bass amp
    70 Model T= 150w AP head
    90 Model T=50w guitar head (more sonically similar to a Fender than a Sunn)

As far as him mentioning changing the tubes, he's referring to putting in pre-amp tubes with a high gain structure (12AX7s probably), and with the power tubes, unless he's completely having the power section redone, he's probably putting in 6550s.

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I think the reissued Sunn/Fender Model T is 100w, switchable to 25w.

I have a Sunn 300T and it is an absolute beast. Great 2-channel amp.