1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassman TV increasing in value?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by project_c, Mar 28, 2013.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm wondering what people think about the future value of the Bassman TV series of amps. Now that they are no longer being made, are they likely to become a collectable thing? Will their second hand value increase? Or will they just become one of those random things that people forget about? Lots of people - including me -love these amps (but not so much their price or weight) and you rarely see them come up for sale used, especially here in the UK. I need to clear some space in my studio but I'm trying to figure out whether this is one of those amps that would be silly to sell right now.

2. Sound great so I'm told, but the lack of being able to add an extension cab lost me.

3. I have no idea about how collectible they are or will be, but I love mine! I have the TV Ten and am keeping it.

For my part, I have no use for a combo that needs an extension cabinet. That defeats the purpose for me. A combo is something that is self contained and easy to move. The TV Ten does just that.

4. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    +100, that's what combos are for. I love my TV10, came down from the TV12. Kicking myself for that move. Still the TV10 is lighter & loads of power for my gigs. I think they became unpopular because they were overpriced from the start. The price often compared to a bigger rig which was hard to justify. On that basis they may be forgotten.
    Question: are most TV Bassman owners aged 50+ ?
    I think they will be desirable, as we get older, the gear gets lighter by majority & the TV series is an excellent fat sound & very versatile. I love the sound, the look, the weight, the simplicity the professional sound. The reliability. I also have a Phil Jones Flight Case & they compare ! So then you think, is it under priced !! Keep it.

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Depends on how old you are. If you can wait 30 or 40 years it might be worth something to the right buyer. Other than that, can't see it. Even then, I doubt you'll get that much for it.

The old stuff that has value was pretty much the best of it's era; famous people used etc. TV series won't go down in history as that.

6. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    You're not going to make much/any money on something like that. Too expensive to begin with, and combos are better suited to smaller gigs, which means people want to spend less money on them (generally).

I've never even seen one in person, and for a Fender, that does not speak well to it's popularity. Maybe they're just super amazing and people just haven't "discovered" that yet, but it's going to take the price tanking first for that to happen, then enough people to "catch on" to bring the price back up and it seems unlikely to go higher than the new price.

I certainly wouldn't consider one an "investment".

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I had one the TV 10's and hated it beautiful amps but I was not digging the sound. I really don't see them or many amps built today as being collectible they really aren't built to last that long?

8. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    That was my issue when I saw them come out. I was like, this is useless to me at a rehearsal/gig level, but it wasn't even close to the price required to qualify it for a home toy.

9. I don't see amps and basses as equal. Amps are just not collectible, IMO. Maybe an Ampeg B15 from the 60s.

My TV Ten can sure compete with the Ampeg B100R tonewise, but the B100R can be had for a lot less money.

Whatever the reasons for the demise of the TV series, they are great amps.

10. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    They aren't that loud or powerful. Good practice amp though.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played through all of these TV combos at their first NAMM Show introduction. I remember standing back and saying out loud, "Man, I did that Twelve the most." This guy behind me says, "You know, I tried them all and came to that same conclusion." That guy was Bobby Vega. :cool:

So, I've been keeping my eyes open for a Bassman TV Twelve, and I recently picked one up in the classifieds. It's currently en route.

12. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I played my TV15 for a couple years and loved it - and would still be playing it if I had not upgraded to an all tube head and cab. I always thought they had a good tone and a good amount of volume on tap (at least speaking for the 15).

For the record I'm under 50, as well ;)

I doubt the interest in these will go up exponentially, or the value will increase. But FWIW, I thought they were neat combos, and I have no problem keeping mine as a backup/practice amp.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, not really going to be an investment in the future, except maybe when you're 100 ;) That said, they are good amps...just that they were really expensive for not having a major feature that expensive combos should have...expandability.

14. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I shouldn't say this, but my Fender rep gave me a TV210 when they first came out...dreadful little thing that looked so stinking cool! It just sounded...awful, for my purposes...kept it around for a low volume recording amp for awhile

15. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    My local music store was pushing them fairly hard when they came out - practically had to duck to keep from hitting your head when you entered the store. Despite that, it didn't seem like anyone was buying them.

To me, it really felt like they were banking on a combination of looks, and hoping that if they repeated "vintage" and "classic" often enough, people would convince themselves to pay the premium. And to be honest, they didn't even strike me as sounding especially "vintage" in the first place. Certainly not to the degree other top tier options can pull off.

16. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Can anyone recommend a specific alternative fan replacement for the Fender Bassman TV 10. In a gig it's never an issue, it's just that I play church venues & in those silent moments when you could hear a pin ├░rop; well it makes me very self conscience. I play just feet away from the priest most times. It's been said before to use a computer fan, but can anyone recommend a part number or be specific on a totally silent suitable fan. Any advise or fix would be much appreciated.

17. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Had there been an extension speaker out its added flexibility would make gigging them an option and thus led to more sales and possibly an expansion of the line, which would result in more improvements and redesigns.

I wonder if they're going to make a Super Bassman 100-115 or 112 model. I think they'd sell enough to keep interest.

18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wouldn't think they would. The TV series as a hybrid, (I imagine) would be much easier/cheaper to manufacture and could be offered at a cheaper price point (whether or not we agree on what cheap is).

Selling the 100T (I imagine) would put that combo amp in a price range that no one would consider purchasing, not to mention logistics of weight and size.

19. People complain the Bassman TV series amps were not loud enough.

They are loud enough. For a vintage style amp.

How loud were amps in the 50s and 60s for bass? Not loud enough compared to what some folks here want or need, apparently.

The TV series offered two combos at 150 watts, and two others at 350 watts. Not loud enough???

The original Ampeg B15, the holy grail of bass amps, was 25 watts.

I know for some folks 150 or 350 watts just aren't enough. Especially for death metal or heavy rock.

But for what they were made for, ie "vintage" applications, they are plenty loud and sound perfect.

20. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    I don't know... if the Ampeg B100R (and others in that discontinued Blue Diamond Series) are not increasing in value, I would think the Fenders would do about the same. Those Ampegs have a lot of devoted fans but they are selling used for only $300. I think they were closer to $500 - $600 back when they were new.

Having said that, if you love it there's some real value there that can't be equated to dollars. Who knows, in the distant future I'm sure they will appreciate to some degree.