BassMaster Bass Amps Series XS800H - Bass Head - 800w

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Im wondering if this is a good amp and if its the amp for me.

Cant seem to find one where i am, not even close so i cant try one out.

I have tryed the Traynor all tube bass head and i thought it was great but only could get one sound out of it and it was abit floppy.

What i want is to be able to get some warmth but have a head versatile enough to get it just fat and tight with no warmth.

The musical styles i play are funk, metal, progressive rock, and classical.

Im an audio engineer and too much warmth can get tiring on my ears and especially if all the guitarists have tube amps.

But ive also heard these hybrid amps dont get anywhere near the warmth one wants.

I dont want to tell the guys to order it into the store if im not going to like it.

Any personal experience with this amp or yorkville gear will be apreciated and also anything you have heard about this amp will help.

Thanks for your time.
  2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I've got an XS800H and have been using since late spring. At first I was running it with one or two Fender Bassman angled 412's until I got my Dr.Bass Rx2260. The XS800H is one outstanding head. The only mod I've made to it is switching out the Sovtek for a JJ Tesla. For the styles that you've mentioned I think you'll be very pleased with it. All I can tell you is that I don't know anyone that's wanted to take theirs back after getting it.
    With its versitality it is hard to beat and it sounds awesome. If you're worried about it being too warm it's easy to dial it out.
  3. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I also use the Telsa JJ, makes the sound much better.
    I use an Aguilar 4x12 and it's great.
    With 10s I'm sure it will punch more if you slap.
    I did mess with the EQ ALOT to get my tone:
    Keep the low bass at 11-1 O'clock, roll off to 9-10 Oclock in the mid-bass (this was the trick for me here), mess with the mid to dial in what you want, roll the highs off to about 8 O'clock. I use a Hamer USA Jazz bass.

I'm considering getting the YB-200 all tube, will need to swap the tubes out for JJs. I do not know why many companies like these sovtek WB 12ax7s.

4. I also have an xs800h. Love it. No mods though. I use it with my own 4x10 and a Yorkville 115.

I had a xs400 combo for a while and really liked it, so the 800 head was a no brainer
  5. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Jamesblue-hey-from your post I wasn't sure if you were happy with your yorky XS800H...I'm seriously considering one as soon as I can find one to try out as long as it meets my expectations...why are you considering gettin the Traynor? I'm considering using the Yorkie to push 1-2 Schroeder cabinets-Maybe a 1212 and a 1210 or a 1212 and a 410...peace...DAcat.
  6. jamesblue

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I guess I don't like the preamp. I was using a SWR 350, the pre was very good when going direct live or studio.
    The xs800h is a down grade from the SWR IMO.
    I'm thinking of selling the 800, not yet. I got it for under $650 cheap for 800 watts. It's not bad, just requires alot of EQ to dial in the tone, and I use my Aphex Acoustic Exciters DI out to go to the PA and for Recording.

7. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    anyone else have any more info i should know?
  8. Voltaren

Sep 11, 2005
    far far away
    email dynamic music (wholesalers) and they will let you know who is the closest retailer to you.

I also would love to give one of these heads a go, I have the YBA200 and it is one cool amp with a bit of adjusting but I reckon the xs would have a little more clean headroom.
  9. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    I'm hopefully going to try one out inthe next few days-I'll let you know-I hope to hook it up to a Schroeder cab...Peace...DAcat
  10. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under

Awesome man hope to hear from you soon
  11. I would LOVE to hear that review... I have an XS400H.

- Andrew
  12. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    How good is this amps overdrive and distortion?

Got any samples?

Does anyone have any info about how good the footswitch stuff measures up?

Aparently you can have up to 3 options.

All tube pre

All SS pre

Both mixed

13. Ok, here's my review of the xs800:

To start off I am using a MIM Fender P with Fender Lace Sensors with a Jazz added at the bridge / A Fender P-Deluxe active / Geddy Lee jazz / a Spiglet Jazz with Noiseless, and a Spiglet P Bass with Basslines (p, and a J added at the bridge)

I was using a xs400 combo with a Ampeg 115 underneath (2x15 putting out 400w) Well, that rig multiplied into 2 rigs with 2 combo's with 2 Ampeg 115s...(4x15s = 800w) playing rock/metal/punk like Nugent / Black Sabbath / Motorhead / Sex Pistols, playing against a HARD hitting drummer and 4 guitar 4x12s (2 Behringer sp, and 2 Marshall)
    Well, I didn't know when to stop so I picked up the xs800. I did a A/B test against my SVT Pro 3 and HLF 410 cab, and the Ampeg rig couldn't match value, power, and overall versatility of the Yorkville gear.

So I took the xs800 with matching 808 cab, which I "hmmm'd" and "hawww'd" about, thinking that 8' speakers wouldn't be able to handle anything. Well I was, and still am wrong. I have never felt speakers move more air than I have with this cab. The other 2 rigs are now being used as shelves.

built in compressor - I don't have much experince with these, but it works fine
    solid state/tube pre-amp button. Yes, this lets you decide if you want a ss or Tube pre. I always use tube
    tube drive...from round fat, to Lemmy overdriven that can be defeated either front panel, or footswitch
    bass resonance lets you dial in how "tight" or "loose" you want the bass.
    5 band eq bass / low-mid / parametric mid / hi-mid / treble with a added freq dial 150-1.5k...what does all this mean?...

Well, for portability, the xs800 gets 10/10. Put it in a rack and away you go.
    For value: 10/10...For yorkville you pay for the gear, you are not paying for the name like some other brands
    Versatility: 9/10...The mute could be a bit better for onstage tuning etc as some noise does get through
    Features: 10/10...Everything I need, and nothing I don't. I am a rock 'n roll player. No pedals or special effects, just let me plug in and play. Plain and simple. So after all of the amps that I have played/owned, Yorkville has filled the bill as the best bang for the buck. GREAT versatilty, ease of use etc.

The first head I used a Traynor Monoblock that I was borrowing. Well I had to get my own gear so I ended up buy a Ampeg V4-B with a 2x15 Peavy cab. I used that until I moved to a Ampeg B5-R with a Ampeg 410+115. Then I went to a Pro 4 with the same cabs. Then a Pro 3 with a HLF410. (do you see a pattern yet?) I tried both the Pro 3 and Pro 4 Pro 4 with both speaker set-ups, and I just couldn't find "it", my sound. My local rehearsal studio had a xs400 combo, and I was impressed, and I talked myself into getting a combo for a new project that I was joining. Well I threw the 15 cab under it, and "Bam!" that was it. Good-bye Ampeg heads, hello Traynor/Yorkville. They are Canadian made, with a 2 year "even if you break it" warranty which is unheard of anywhere, thats how much faith they have in their gear. Actually, I am buy a old YBA-1 Bass head with matching 4x10 cab...can't go wrong with Traynor/Yorkie gear. Also ask RevGroove here on TB...he's the one that got me hooked on the xs800, he will be able to help you more than I can as fas as a more in-depth review.
  14. So you like the XC808? Do you find its a tad heavy? (Well, I guess compared to your old rigs, maybe relatively light :) ). I had one with my XS400H and it sounded great in my room but never had a chance to gig it. How would you descibe its sound?

- Andrew
  15. Hey there,
    The 808, heavy? Well, yeah, is is, but it does have the tilt back casters which makes it a bit easier for moving. I am driving a Jeep TJ, and this, with head, and bass all fit, with the back seat removed and some planning in the "back seat area".

The sound is full. Rich. I would describe it as getting hit in the chest with bass. You know how some rigs (guitar or bass) leaving you wanting more? The person might be a good player but the sound just isn't there? (Funny enough...went to a friends practice the other day, full drum kit, a Yorkville bass combo, a Traynor 100w (I think) head/cab, and the last guy was using a 15w Marshall combo with a faulty cable, his little amp just didn't have it...)...Well the rig fills the room and lets you feel it. I am playing 4 strings, and it has no problem going to the highs to lows. It does seem to feel a bit top heavy to the front, but when was the last time you played on a hill? I like using a bit of overdrive, and it doesn't come across as thin, hollow, or treble'ly at all. Still round and full. I have used the head with a Peavy 2x10+118 cab, and it was OK, but didn't have that "fullness' that I like and am used to. We played a show in T.O. and the 2 guitar (a 412 on either side of stage) cabs went through the PA, and I just went straight our without any problems at all. Hope this helps.
  16. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Motorhead is right about the XC808, it`s one of the best kept secret in Bass !!!!

I am amazed every time I play through the Cabinet, so much it has that punch and deep full Tone it delivers. It cuts through that is for sure. Never thought such small speakers could give great low end like these !!!

Portability ??? It`s heavy, but they are not worse than a 410 and a lot easier tocarry than any 610 or 810`s. The tilt wheels help a lot.
  17. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Does anyone have any samples? or any more info about the distortion this thing has?

Also is it warm enough?
  18. A friend of mine borrowed my XS400H for his church's worship band, and upon returning it commented on how warm it sounded. Just out of curiosity I popped the travel case open to look at his settings and he didn't even have the tube-pre engaged. I found the tube-pre in moderation can definately add some basey goodness / warmth. Although if you whack the tube-pre it can get very messy indeed. I'm not terribly fond of it's distortion tone, but to each their own.

- Andrew
  19. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Anyone recorded this amp with the preamp of this thing?

Got any samples?

20. jamesblue

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I do home recording on a DAW and when I got this amp I wanted to see what the DI/Pre sounded like when it would go to a PA board or if it was good for recording. I used a Mackie Onyx 1220 w/firewire, Dell Laptop 6000 and Trackton 2.

After testing it with a few 12ax7s not to use it for recording or going to the PA. I use the DI out on my Aphex Exciter. I deleted my samples of the 800xs, they just weren't good. The Tesla JJ sounded best to me, the Sovtek LPS was a good second. It's not totaly unusable, if I had no other option I'd use it.

I used a Hamer USA Cruise (jazz) bass, DR Fat Beams and Dimarzo Ultra Jazz PUPs. Effects Fulltone Bass Drive II, EH Bass balls and Aphex Acoustic Exciter.

The 800xs distorsion is very good, but for me I don't need full on distorsion/fuzz all the time. I get good growl from my setup and use the Fulltone when I need that classic rock kind of sound then kick the bost switch for the modern kick the door down sound.

You should always compare your untouched bass sound to all the gadgets you hook it up too and determine if you like the altered sound.