1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bassmods.com - Ibanez SR905

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aRun, Mar 7, 2013.

1. aRun

aRun

May 8, 2009
    Newcastle, NSW
    Hey guys

I have a Stock Ibanez SR905 in burgandy, not a fan of its sounds. Was thinking about putting new pups in it but read that the EQ could be the cause of the parts of my tone im not excited about. Coincidentally the EQ is half the price to try as an experiment.

SO, im thinking about puting a similar EQ into my bass, only with a Passive push pull and a tone control.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290806212806?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1769wt_1163

Just wondering If anyone has modded one of these basses or something with the pups and or EQ. Or if anyone has had success / horror stories from the products these guys have.

Thanks in advance :D

2. Although I don't have experience with this bass, I do with those pre-amps. They are designed to use passive pickups, not active. They have a fairly transparent tone when all of the pots are centered. They are not miracle workers and are "garbage in garbage out", I have one in my Five string Vintage Modified jazz with Duncan Quarter Pounders, it sounds excellent. I also have one that I just transferred to a OLP stingray. It was previously in a Epi Les Paul bass and it just didn't quite sound right. It is much better suited in the Stingray.

I would suggest ordering it and trying it, just make sure your current pups will work with it.

3. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    You can try removing the stock EQ and test the pickups in passive configuration. You're gonna need new pots ('vol/vol' or 'blend/vol'. also 'tone' if you want).
    If you like the tone of the pickups you can think about installing another preamp later. Or you can keep it passive as well.
    If you're not happy with the tone of the pickups, adding a preamp is not gonna cure it.

4. eight0eight

eight0eight

May 31, 2009
    Boston MA
    If the pickups themselves are passive I'd agree with extensions idea. I would just throw on some volume knobs and see what the pickups sound like "naked"
    I actually swapped out the pups and preamp in my SR1305PM to EMG 40DC's and a varimid 3 preamp. I got much higher output but I still don't like the dry sound. Luckily the preamp has enough range to make it usable. Wish I'd seen the Bassmods stuff before i threw down all that coin. I actually just ordered their jazz pups to put in my Squire Classic Vibe. I emailed with a question and they got back to me real quick. Hope the pups are as good as their customer service.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'd ask what strings are you using??? I also have an sr905, and think it sounds pretty good - comparable to my EBMM Sterling 5 HS, actually... FWIW, I've tried Regular Slinkys, D'Addarios, and GHS Boomers - all .045-.130, and the GHS strings sounded the best... I would try different strings before changing preamp or pups...

- georgestrings