Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassMute, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Jan 19, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Did a search but there is precious little info here. Anyone tried this device? Looks interesting, I'd like to try one on my fretless.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That actually looks pretty cool. It is a neat design. I might shoot Fodera an e-mail to see if I can get one from them, since the stringmute said Fodera is the only US distributer.

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Looks cool. I'd worry about leaving an adhesive stuck to my finish for long though.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Looks good. You could get that Jamerson vibe. I agree with nolabass, I wouldn't want to put it on an expensive high end bass if it requires attachemnt via adhesive or screws.

This device might be a good excuse to go and buy one of those cheap Essex P-basses. Put this thing on it, replace the pickups, raise that action, and you might be able to add a decent Jamerson-style sounding bass to your collection for a few bucks.

5. well, if ya really like it, you could remove the double-sided adhesive, and substitute the two screws that are supplied with it!

I'd be hesitant using it on some vintage axe, but for a working bass, i think it adds some cool versatility

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was interested in one about 6 months back and e-mailed Fodera but never got a response.

Still a really cool idea.

Peace
    Nick

7. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Agreed, I've been seriously looking into muting techniques. Haven't found felt I like, and am looking for foam. But it would be a pain to rip it in and out before the dam singer starts the tune. On the other hand, I would have a hard time glueing something to my working axe (Lakland) much less screws. It seems the thing to do is work on hand muting techniques, which I am. But I'm eyeing this thing too.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Fodera really cheesed me off when I tried to get pricing and ordering info a year or so back - real strokes.

Arthritis makes palm muting really uncomfortable for me. I keep on thinking that I want to try to order one from the EU through one of our fellow TBers (several have offered to help), but I never remember to actually do it. I killed too many brain cells in the '70s, I guess - my memory's gone.

What was the question again?

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im going for it. Ill post in couple of weeks when I get one!

AJ

10. How much are they here in the US?

11. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I have one on my DeluxeV, just to try it out; it's actually a 6-string model for my Jazz 6 that's under construction.

It works great! two positions for different amounts of mute (plus "off" of course). It's nice to have that muted sound and still have your hand free to use all technique you usually have.

I used the double sided tape. It holds well and I'm not worried about the poly finish. I wouldn't put it on a vintage instrument off course, unless it's already heavily modified.

If you have trouble getting one I'd just try contact Ellio - he's cool.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Brooks has one, too - maybe he'll check in on this thread.

13. I make my own for free out of whatever I find lying around.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe [art of what everyone like so much about the BassMute is that it can easily be switched on and off.

Thats the only reason id prefer that over a piece of foam under my strings.

Peace
    Nick

15. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I used hero's round yellow ear plugs, works great.

16. Ric' 4003's still come with a factory mute..my 82' 4001 still has it...although not the easiest thing to use,since there are two screws to raise and lower it,it can be difficult to opreate between songs..in fact I hav'nt used mine(the mute) for so long,the screws are bound up(probably rusted),..luckily in the down(non-muted)position..the few times I used it,it was a pretty cool vibe....instant upright\old school, round tone...just another cool option of the Ric

17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Allright

Ive got one!

I love it! Binkity BakityZingy string sound to tumbau Thud in the flick of a switch.This thing rocks!

AJ

18. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yeah, got one almost 2 years ago on my Rick Turner Electroline Fretless - you can see pics if you follow the link in my signature. Very nicely made, fully adjustable and quite effective, especially on a fretless. Will probably get one from my Warmoth Fretless too.

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I ordered a BassMute about five weeks ago, but it's not here yet. I believe Mr Martina is a bit busy building guitars. I hope it arrives soon, I'm very keen to try it on my fretless now.