1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BassMute System; $100

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Chef, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Used it, liked it, had my fun with it.
    Retail $150, yours for $100 and the ride.

Get all the details here:
    www.bassmute.com
    Tired of palm muting, or just suck at it? Want yer ole P to sound more like Jamerson, Dunn or Babbitt? The foam is all gone in your 30 year old bridge cover, or yer tired of shoving it in and out (go ahead, joke here if you like) inbetween songs or sets?
    Bassmute to the rescue y'all!

My story: I saw our own Tommixx selling a bass with one of these installed and chatted with him a bit about it. I play a lot of jazz, blue, r&b...and now bluegrass (tho that's mostly 100% DB) that really benefits from being able to make yer axe sound as much like a double bass with guts on it as you can. Tom had an extra, I bought it...nice!
    Palm muting is a difficult technique to really master and have it even from string to string. Gluing foam under the bridge cover -when it works well-is a "semi-permenant solution," in other words, not possible to change song by song on the fly. Stuffing foam under there manually and getting it dialed in just right is time consuming on stage or in the studio, you might as well palm mute with all the time you have to spend shaping a piece to work each string just right...

Well, check out this nifty bit of kit:
    bassmute001.
    The lever on the right is three positions: off, ''kinda on,'' and "really on." The "amount of on-ness" is readily adjustable as each individual mute is adjustable side to side with a quick allen wrench adjustment.
    Here's "off" as seen from above, leaving your bass normal in all ways:
    bassmute002.
    Here's kinda on from above. Note the foam mutes are angled. This means the bridge facing end of them engages first; and adjusting them side to side can make the "sorta on" position a very delicate muting indeed, see how the neck en of the foam isn't engaging yet? This means yer ole P with fresh stainless LaBella 760FL rounds now has much tamer highs, and a tad less sustain:
    bassmute003.
    All the way on is a nice full-on mute; yer ole P will now go "thump: and then decay real fast...dang near like a DB with guts on it, 'specially when you roll the tone back to around 50% or so. Note how the neck end of the mutes is now hard up against the strings:
    bassmute004.

The fact that each mute is quickly and individually adjustable is super-spiffy.
    The bassmute comes with great instructiuons and includes two sided tape to stick it to yer bass, the allen wrench, and an extra set of mute pads. It will work on carved top basses like yer Gretsch or Lakland Hollowbodies, simply by using thicker two sided foam tape to account for the curve in the top. The mutes themselves are quite wide and long, so they are trimmable to fit any bass I have.

It also comes with two wood screw the size of a pickguard or bridge-cover screw should you choose to "premenantly mount" the bassmute to your axe...but the owner of the company said his two sided tape mount has been on for two years now. He also added a bit of heat from a blow drier will quickly and cleanly remove it when mounbted with the tape.

Pretty aces product if you need that sound, tho a tad pricey at ~$150 USD. Come with mounting screws, but, when using the two sided tape mount, it can move from bass to bass pretty quickly and leaves no empty holes.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have one of these on one of my 5 string Bongos, and I absolutely love it.

I highly recommend someone pick this up for a 4 string bass. If I had a 4 string that I used very often, I'd have already grabbed this one, too.

Don't be put off by the price for a mute. It's a very well built piece of gear that can get you as many tones as an added preamp, or a new set of pickups.

My personal favorite tone is achieved by employing the mute, and using a pick right by the neck. On the next tune, I can turn the mute off, and pick over the bridge pickup for that classic bridge pickup burp. Try doing that with a piece of foam shoved under the strings. :D

3. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    PM sent. I want it.

4. if this were for a 5er i'd be on it.

bump anyway!

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    JohnMark;