Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassMute?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jul 28, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nope. Saw it on the Fodera site, that's about it.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If Fodera were the ones that had the US dealership, I sent them an email last year asking for prices and ordering info, and never heard from them.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Try again. Stuff happens;)

5. What is the use of a bass mute?

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It stops the strings from vibrating to allow a dull, thumping kind of attack. You can achieve this by resting the side of your (picking or plucking hand) palm on the strings while you play.

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Most Rickenbackers come with a built in mute.

8. All of the old Fender Basses and even the earlier MusicMan basses also had mutes. Players looking for an "old" acoustic bass tone used the mute to dampen the sustain.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, still nothing from Fodera - maybe they're DOA, or their email's down.

Still looking for someone that's actually seen one of these...

10. What the.....

These Elliomartina guys are about 15 kilometres from where I live.. howcome I never heard of them?!?!?

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Rippin' Robin -

Please, let me know if you find anything about these guys, will you? I just sent an email to the manufacturer directly, so I'll see what happens.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've been trying to find out about these things since last year, myself. I set an email to the manufacturer, and they told me to contact Fodera. I called Fodera and they said to try again after Summer NAMM. I was actually gonna call them this week, so I'll post if they give me a price.

I am dying to put one on my Int'l Petite 5 string set up with TI Jazz Flats (EADGC). I've been playing with a pick and palm muting and I'd love to be able to turn that thing on for a consistent tone while I can concentrate on my picking. I really don't want the hassle of a piece of foam--it's ugly, and you can't take it out for a chorus....

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Success!

Less than 12 hours after my email, the manufacturer responded with a very nice email giving pricing and ordering information. Costs are very reasonable, and range in the $80 to $100 area (plus shipping) depending on number of strings and finish.

Now, to see if it will fit my basses - I think I'm going to cut a piece of balsa 10.5 mm tall and 15 mm wide, and see if it'll work for me or not. I didn't want to bother until I could determine if the BassMute was actually available at a reasonable cost.

14. jmrtnko

jmrtnko

Jul 9, 2001
    i've got an ovation magnum with a built-in mute. i was screwing around with it and discovered that if you move the mute so it's *just* touching the strings, you get the most bizarre indian drone sound. sadly, with the differing string widths, i can only adjust it to work on two strings at a time. anyone else playing with anything like this?

jmar.

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, I know Brooks has one on his Rick Turner (do you still like and use it, Brooks?), but has anyone else tried one of these yet?

I'm trying to order one this week from Fodera for my Jazz, and if I like it I'll consider one for my new Sterling, too.

16. I tried a bass a few months ago that had one on it - it was actually a Fodera. Did a great job giving you that 70s muted tone. The only (small) issue I had with it was that you could not adjust the muting on the fly. I use the side of my hand while playing with my thumb and index (fairly common) - and that allows me to adjust how much muting I want easily while playing. I all honesty, however, I am thinking seriously about purchasing one - if you get one in the mean time, let me know what your impression is.

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yup, still like it and use it. It's a very well made piece of hardware, and came in quite handy recently when I had to do a couple of sets of old swing numbers.

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Brooks (and others), there's three positions on the BassMute, correct?

1. Off

2. Mutes lightly touching the strings

3. On (latched)

Do I have this right?

Also, David at Fodera immediately answered my email request - I'll try calling him tomorrow.

19. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yes, you are correct - you have 3 positions. Plus, each individual string mute is adjustable via an allen key.

20. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area