1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BassNW in-house luthier?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gruuv, Sep 13, 2005.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey all,

I am just curious as to whether anyone has had any experience with the set-up guy as BassNW, or if they have someone who does that full-time? I was considering buying one of their used basses and wanted to get a set-up thrown in but wasn't sure if anyone knew if he was good.

Thanks in advance for any help. . .

2. I haven't had any experience with the BassNW guy, but if you're in the area I would highly reccommend taking the bass to Mike Lull for a set-up. His shop is in Bellevue and his set-ups are always perfect for my style.

3. +1 for the Mike Lull setups. They're great stuff, but (and this was a few years ago) I seem to remember them being slightly more expensive than I would have liked. Oh well, you definitely get what you pay for with him and his gang.

As far as Bass NW is concerned, the did the original setup on a 77 Kramer I got from them. Not muc you can do with a truss rod one one of those, seeing as they don't have one, but the bridge adjustments were pretty good, and they gave me a discount on the setup, nice leather strap, strap-loks and a free set of Elixers (back when nanoweb was the only choice). It seems to me that they've gone a little down-hill since then, their stock is nowhere near where it was 5-6 years ago. It used to be a struggle to even reach most of the used basses they were packed in so tight. Basically, if they'll give you a discount on a setup, it may be worth taking it. Their turnaround time is usually faster than Lull's.