Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassNW in-house luthier?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gruuv, Sep 13, 2005.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey all,

I am just curious as to whether anyone has had any experience with the set-up guy as BassNW, or if they have someone who does that full-time? I was considering buying one of their used basses and wanted to get a set-up thrown in but wasn't sure if anyone knew if he was good.

Thanks in advance for any help. . .

2. I haven't had any experience with the BassNW guy, but if you're in the area I would highly reccommend taking the bass to Mike Lull for a set-up. His shop is in Bellevue and his set-ups are always perfect for my style.

3. +1 for the Mike Lull setups. They're great stuff, but (and this was a few years ago) I seem to remember them being slightly more expensive than I would have liked. Oh well, you definitely get what you pay for with him and his gang.

As far as Bass NW is concerned, the did the original setup on a 77 Kramer I got from them. Not muc you can do with a truss rod one one of those, seeing as they don't have one, but the bridge adjustments were pretty good, and they gave me a discount on the setup, nice leather strap, strap-loks and a free set of Elixers (back when nanoweb was the only choice). It seems to me that they've gone a little down-hill since then, their stock is nowhere near where it was 5-6 years ago. It used to be a struggle to even reach most of the used basses they were packed in so tight. Basically, if they'll give you a discount on a setup, it may be worth taking it. Their turnaround time is usually faster than Lull's.