Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basson 4X10 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garry Goodman, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I just tried a Basson Sound 4X10 cab with a switchable on/off horn.

It had even freq. response across all ten bands and it sounded great at a low volume.

They just gave Judas Priest an endorsement ,so they must sound great loud.

They are located in Carlsbad, CA.

www.bassonsound.com

2. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    hmm... specs on their webpage aren't too bad. know how much they normally go for?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They look pretty conventional to me. I'm curious for some reviews.
    I'd like to see more info on the speakers, (max.)spl, etc. - the website doesn't tell much really.

Also, what do you mean with "all across the 10 bands" - that doesn't tell anything.

4. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I only played through one of their cabs , at a low volume.

I used my Warrior 9 string , a passive bass. It was very clean.
    In audio ,there are 10 basic frequencies that are audible.
    for instance :31 hertz , 62 hertz , 125 hz , 250 , 500 hz , 1k ,2k , 4k , 8k and 16 kilohertz.
    The nine string plus harmonics uses at least 9 of the 10 bands of Eq.

The bass usually uses 125 ,250 and even a 3k "sizzle" . The cabs reproduced everything . Victor Basson is the owner . Give him a call ,he'll answer the questions . I was doing a gig at a music store and he grabbed me and my bass and plugged me in to his 4X10 cab with the horn. I was using a GK 400rb (I think) as an amp. The volume balance was great from lowest string to 24th fret highest string. I didn't need to boost anything on the amp to get a great tone.

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I didn't ask the price ,but I can check.

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I only played through one of their cabs , at a low volume.

I used my Warrior 9 string , a passive bass. It was very clean.
    In audio ,there are 10 basic frequencies that divide the ten octaves of audible frequencies.For instance
    31 hertz , 62 hertz , 125 hz , 250 , 500 hz , 1k ,2k , 4k , 8k and 16 kiloherz.
    The nine string plus harmonics uses at least 9 of the 10 bands of Eq.

The bass usually uses 125 ,250 and even a 3k "sizzle" . The cabs reproduced everything . Victor Basson is the owner . Give him a call ,he'll answer the questions . I was doing a gig at a music store and he grabbed me and my bass and plugged me in to his 4X10 cab with the horn. I was using a GK 400rb (I think) as an amp. The volume balance was great from lowest string to 24th fret highest string. I didn't need to boost anything on the amp to get a great tone.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sorry, but this is complete nonsense. Those frequencies are just a bunch of Bs. Surely you, or Basson, don't think that only Bs are "audible"?

8. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Maybe he means that the sound is solid throughout those fundamental 'B' notes, sort of using them as benchmarks as to how low and high the cab goes? Or the octaves that we can hear in? 16k sounds semi-familiar in terms of how high our ears can hear....

Ninestring - that'd be cool if you could check the prices... see if it's worth a stop on the way up to guitar center. :)

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    BP did a review on the Basson 4x10... they gave it good reviews... they said list is like $555 which i thought was a typo... but hey, check them out

10. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    hmm.... did a search on the forums and was inpired by the results to head over to harmony central to look for an article about basson. Here's a link to the HC article. It says they sell for $240-895. Not bad! That's near Avatar prices (assuming $240 for a 2x10)!! And since I'm in the area, I can actually try them out and do the "trunk test." hehehe. :p We might be onto something here! :D

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not sure how Id feel about playing through a cab that only has good response on B.

I wonder how it preforms on other notes....

Peace
    Thor

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    oh you mean a bunch of B notes..... I thought you were saying "Bull Sheeiit" at first......

13. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Looks like they're selling on e-bay. $390 minimum bid should take the 210.

Large for a 210, and a touch pricey, too. Imagine the bass response is better than the avatars tho -- it sez it's good to 40Hz, but doesn't specify db down or anything.

14. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    wow, $390... I've heard you can get eden 210xlt's for $350 if you're lucky... bummer they're not cheap. :meh: oh well, so much for another Avatar-type company.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    :D

16. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003

i used these frequencies ,which are closer to C's than B's ,as arbitray reference points to indicate a flat response with all audible octaves. These frequencies ,the note C in each octave is usually used on most graphic EQ's.
    If you prefer we can use B's or E's , but I think you get the point of my post.

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    But this is not how you define frequency range.
    Those may be bands on one specific EQ, on another there might be different ones.

Sartori likes this.
  18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well if you replace the 31 and 62Hz with 40 and 75Hz instead, then add 1.5k - he's pretty much described the EQ on my current amp.

Trouble is I often find myself wishing for control of frequencies that are in between. So I guess you're both a little bit correct.

19. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I mean to say:
    Generally ,EQ is divided into ten basic reference points on a graphic or parametric equalizer. As you know , each note has it's own frequency ,i.e. A 440 Hz C 260Hz .
    The lower five bands divide as 31hz , 63hz ,125hz ,250hz and 500hz . The upper five are 1k , 2k , 4k , 8k and 16k. These are based on the note " C " in all ten octaves. The cabinet sounded pretty much flat in all octaves . Does that make sense ?

I found that when I played notes in ,or affected by these frequencies ,t hat the amplitude was always even as opposed to having the lower bands louder than the mid's or upper frequencies as some bass cabs do.

20. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003

Well I am always open to new things ,but every engineering class I've taken , or book i've read uses these 10 points to define the ten one octavebands as reference points in the audio spectrum..it is common knowledge to pro audio people that octaves 2-5 contain the musical fundamental pitches and the upper five octaves contain the overtones that are central to defining timbre for musical sounds . These are sub divided into 1/3 octave resolution.
    To my understanding , this is pretty much the basis for audio and frequency.. There is no getting around the fact that middle C is around 260 hz. Since C i is used on a graphic eq in most cases., I used them as opposed to F# .I should have said "flat response across all frequencies"' .