1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basson Amps out of business

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    http://www.bassonsound.com/

I figured it would happen eventually. They had some nice sounding cabs, if a powerful head accompanied it, and if the weights of the cabs were manageable.:meh:

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Sure, the economy is tough. But Basson was out of totally out of touch with cab design and technology that could have made them competitive. Like lighter thinner woods, composites, neo drivers stock or OEM... they really needed someone clued in there at the engineering end, and someone in marketing to make it palatable to whatever crowd they were after.

To be blunt, Basson's only niche has been dungeon-minded S&M-lovin' guys with roadies they want to punish. Small wonder then, that the company flailed about in the illusory comfort of the pre-dive economy, let alone the present realities.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. The only "surprise" is that they lasted this long.

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Regardless of what anyone thinks of the product that was produced it sucks too see any small (or large) manufacturer shut there doors.
    Hopefully the people that were employed there can get hooked up with someone else, otherwise they can be expecting a long wait in the unemployment lines with how the economy is still suffering in this country.

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Sad to see someone drop out, even though I never heard of them... which says something about both me and them lol.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, that's a shame when an honest business has to shut down. but that's the way the marketplace is. basson was too specialized and too demanding for the users.

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Hey, I thought they were gone many years ago.....

I talked to them at NAMM a long time ago, maybe in the 80's, maybe later, I don't know when they started..... but I hadn't seen them for several years even around 2004 or so......

8. +1

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The reasons for Basson going out of business above is not the reason they went out of business.

At the state of the musical instrument biz these days, there are more that's going to be folding as well. And believe me the economy is not the culprit.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Companies go out of business when they can no longer make enough money to stay alive, or when the owners have become so rich that they retire. The handwriting for Basson was on the wall when they started giving 'endorsement' deal pricing to anyone and everyone. IMO Basson missed the boat on going smaller and lighter. Two hundred pound 810s aren't where the market is, or has been for twenty years.
    The first part of the budget to get hacked when times get tough is advertising and promotion. It should be the last, but it's easier to stop paying for advertising than supplies.

11. what is it then???

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bill with all due respect I know why Basson is no longer in business(and it's not my place to say why).

It has nothing to do with how heavy they're cabs were or anything about supposed power one needs to properly run they're cabs.

The main reason for Bassons demise is from a pattern that has slowly been creeping up on musical instrument companies.

13. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    intrigue....

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I doubt anything sinister is at work here. If Basson was making a profit they'd still be around. As would Oldsmobile and Pontiac.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    +1...

- georgestrings

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Exactly - most profitable companies don't go belly up...

Basson didn't put out a product that met realistic needs of bassists - plain and simple...

- georgestrings

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Manufacturing going to China?

I've got to say that back in '69 when I started playing bass, you couldn't get decent gear for the price you can now. But the low end is over saturated, and since it's decent, who needs the US made stuff, which has become over priced in many instances.

Business is slow though, and apparently not just in the US, as seen in Q-Tuner stopping production. I've even had to take on freelance graphics work (my former day gig) to make ends meet.

So.. everyone go out and buy something! Let's get that economy stimulated... :bassist:

As far as heavy cabs... I stopped using my Mesa 4x10 because it's too heavy to haul around.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the only things i can see that can cause a business to go out of business are:

1. lack of income

2. supply side costs becoming way too high to sell products at a price customers won't balk at

3. owner strikes it rich and decides to retire

i think #3 can be safely ruled out. i also believe, as you said, the current economy can be ruled out, since there are still mi conpanies that are doing well. that really only leaves 1 and 2 as possibilities as far as i can tell.

or maybe, just maybe, it was this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524427

the whole thread is great, but it REALLY heats up on page 6. hoo boy!

19. Did someone mention Oldsmobile and heavy in the same thread? Good analogy!
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist!

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ah, the basson thread. With customer service like that they should've been out of business long ago.

customer- " hey man, can I buy one or your cabs in tolex instead of carpet?"

company-"sure"

company again-"I'm not doing your stinkin tolex, what are you trying to do run me out of business? You're taking my house, you're taking food out of my kids mouths, I should sue you"

Nice going guys. I guess Nikki Sixx doesn't have the pull he used to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.