Basson cabinets, anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Jul 27, 2004.

1. There have been a few threads about these from a while back, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of these recently? I called Basson out of curiosity and spoke to one of the guys there, he was very cool and explained the philosophy behind them. All of the cabs use 10s, and the speakers have 200oz magnets... :eek: The 4x10 looks like it weighs about a metric ton, and even the 2x10 weighs 100lbs and is the size of a small 4x10. Also, supposedly they are flat down to 28hz... I'm not sure if I believe it or not, but anything's possible I guess.. so who has actually tried one of these?
  2. I just received a B210B (I think that's the model)'s a great cab IMO. My bandmates love it......heavy as hell though and it's only available in 4ohms. One does the job for me playing straight ahead rock. It might not be for you if you are a jazzer though.....
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

I have heard this cab also and will vouch for it's toneness,, Zoom even pumps 400 tube watts into it with no prob....
  4. Well, I have a hard time getting past the "Battlestar Galactica" logo, but I trust Zoom & Funkster's opinion, as they know good tone... so someday I'll try one.

That 210 looks awesomely big are the voice coils on them babies....?

I betcha a comperable Neodymium magnet would greatly reduce weight.... if that's an avenue they're exploring.

Personally, I'll grunt a heavy cab if it's got tha tone. No question.
  5. The logo is different for sure. Basson's customer service has been great so far. They contacted me when they had some questions/issues with my order (I originally wanted an 8 ohm cab) and they took great care of me. Shawn Green (VP at Basson and ex-Mass. native) asked me what I wanted for speaker jacks since they were wiring up my cab and I said will you do 1 1/4" and one speakon? No problem! Cab came via UPS a few days later. About two weeks after it arrived I received an email from him asking me to call him since he lost my number and he wanted to talk to me about how I liked my cab. Definitely a stand up guy.

I put 400 all tube watts into mine but be forewarned: They tell you upfront NOT to underpower this cab or you will toast speakers.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Tried it several times... It goes very deep and very loud but has very little overall note definition IMO.
  7. So those of you that have tried them... will they really go down below low B like they advertise? How much power do they require? (not that I'm worried about that with my QSC RMX 1850HD)
    The impression I'm getting is that the 2x10 sounds like a lot more than just a 2x10... since there aren't any around here that I can try, what exactly is the tone like?
  8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Its deep and thumpy: It will fill out the bottom nicely. Just don't expect it to cut through too much in a busier mix. I tried boosting the upper mids and highs a little more, and it didn't help much... It just didn't sound "natural" to my ears. I think that you would do better to get yourself a nice 410 which would be about the same size and actually less weight with better overall frequency response. Yes this cab is a 210 but it doesn't act or sound or feel like a 210 because of the 100+ lb. weight and its enormous size. If you added something else to it for better middle midrange (and up) response it would probably be a great, although large/heavy set up... :meh:
  9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    These cabs were one of my choices of custom cabs. The other two were Avatar and Dr.Bass. All custom, less exspensive and handle alot of power. Basson though, costs way too much for a 210. The Avatar and Dr.Bass were greater values without the extreme weight. If you want heavy as hell cabs and want to be respected, buy Ampeg!
  10. Yeah, as I pointed out earlier this isn't what you'd consider to be a "hi-fi" type of cab. I have yet to experience any issues being heard (or felt) in the mix with my band but then again my needs may differ from someone else's. I play primarily classic rock so it's great for me. I'm kinda in one of those plug a Pbass into a big tube amp kinda mood at this point in time anyways. It works nicely for that.....

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I would agree whole-heartedly with this statement given my experience with the cabs. ;)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a custom Basson cab made for me with 5 10's(B510SC.for Sub Contra) and it sounds very modern(1250wts 4 ohms).I will be in the Studio Aug 23rd recording a full length CD using this Cab.Basson has top notch customer service.Victor Basson and Shawn Green are really about having a great and reliable product.and they will have very very soon a 1500,1000,and watt Amp avalable.