1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basson Cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by padgettohio, Apr 18, 2006.

1. padgettohio

padgettohio

Apr 13, 2006
    Cincinnati
    I'm looking to possibly get an new cabinet; I may just get another 4x10, but I just think the 8x10's looks way cool, and in my opinion seems easier to move around (just tilt and roll; no need to pick up like when stacking or loading 4x10's). Anyway, I ran across a Basson Sound advertisment somewhere and they've caught my eye. They sound pretty powerful. But I haven't found much info on Basson, other than a few posts here and there. And most of those had to do with cabinets other than the 410 and 810. So I'm wondering:

1. Has anyone used them or played through either of those, and if so, what was your opinion of them?

2. Again, I'm really eyeing an 8x10, but would also consider a 4x10. Does anyone know how different the Basson's are from one another (I read the 410 has a switchable horn and the 810 no horn).

3. If anyone know's, how do they compare to other cabs, like say the classic Ampeg 810E? It sounds like it would have a better handle on the lows and more power, for around the same price. But does all that low really matter when your playing with a band at ridiculously massive volumes?

4. What are some other good 8x10 cabinets I could look into? I play in a hard rock/heavy metal band and I'm looking for something that would work well for that type of sound. Oh yeah, I need to keep the price within reason.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure what they sound like but they look well made and have a repution for taking almost anything you can throw at them.

Also, they're very heavy. Probably even moreso than Ampeg.

Good luck, I'm kind of interested in these though on people's thoughts of what they sound like.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They're heavy because they use drivers with very large magnets. That seems like a good idea, but a very large magnet results in a driver with a very low Qts, and that results in poor low end sensitivity. They are capable of a strong low end, but require a lot of EQ and power to get it. You should try one with your head first to be sure you have enough power to push it.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    That's probably why JAUQO III-X uses them with his very low C# tuned bass since these cabinets can be built handle those frequencies well, but I'd imagine need a lot of power.

I also would think acme might have a similar designed cab based on what people are saying about them. Large magnet drivers, but this is just a hypothesis since I've never heard them either.

5. padgettohio

padgettohio

Apr 13, 2006
    Cincinnati
    Trying one out is my real problem. I live in Cincinnati, and the only thing around here that you can try out in an 8x10 (at least that I know of) is the ampeg SVT810E. I think the closet Basson dealer is in Pittsburgh or just south of Lexington,KY; so I'm trying to get some others experience with them before I make a trip out to try one.

Your comments about the power needed for this cab brings up another question. I currently own an SVP-CL preamp and an SVP-1600 power amp. The Basson website states that you need at least 1500watts to drive the 810; as they are very power hungry. But I've read the reviews on the (Basson website) who use the SVT-4PRO without any problems. Isn't the SVP-1600 the power section or the 4pro? They only have a continuous output of 1200watts @ 4ohms. But I haven't read of any power issues with this setup. And while looking for a good cab to match my rig, I read that Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue uses the same pre/power setup that I have; and he uses the Basson 810 (that's what got me interested in them). So he must not have a problem with them, unless he's doing something special to beef up the power. But wouldn't that mean using a different power amp?

Sorry, I hope this last question doesn't take things too far from the original questions. Just trying to see how it will all work for me should I get one.

6. The difference between 1200 and 1500 watts is very minimal. I don't think you would have a problem at all.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I tried a Basson 410 briefly about two years ago. It was only for a few minutes, but I recall two things: The cab was heavier than hell, much heavier than any 410 I've ever experienced. The tweeter didn't have a variable control, only an on/off switch.

Other than that, it sounded OK, not great, but plenty fine.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Basson Cabs are some of the best built and sounding Bass cabs on the market today and they do not cost an arm and a leg.They are heavy and they cut thru the mix extremely well and their bottom response is not muddy at all.The Basson 410 handles 1000watts at 8 ohms and for best results it is highly recommended to not under power Basson cabs,if it says it handles 1000 watts at 8ohms give it just that(or a little more)because when you under power a cab it will only cause problems.The Basson 810 that Nikki Sixx uses is 2000watts at 4 ohms is again solid and clear no muddy lows at all and he's using them all over the world and before he was using Basson he had been using Ampeg for over 25 years and now the only cabs that he uses are the Basson's.They do require a lot of power to push but that's the price one pays for what best suits their needs.I use a Basson 510 cab,each magnet is 200oz's and it has three cross overs,a horn and it's ported,it's power handling is over 2000 watts into 8 ohms and it's Bass response is 17hz's and again solid and Basson also offers a 310 version of the 510.I've used the 510 on two CD's entirely using a Demeter VTBP-201 preamp and a Crest power amp with over 4000watts and I have no complaints.Don't take my word for it just check out all the hard core rock,metal,and death metal bands that use Basson and definatley try one out yourself.

And for those who may be interested Basson has a 2000watt(yes 2000watts)Bass amp coming out some time this year.

9. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    We have a dealer locally. I was amazed at the amount of bottom that the 810 had...tight and, to me, accurate. Butt-heavy. At 54, I gotta pass...

Kim

10. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    These cabs really are great. If I was in a famous band and had people to drag around my equipment then I would get two 810s. My only experiance with these cabs comes from a basson 210. This thing kicks. It has great lowend that just shakes stages. If you like to slap then just pop on that horn.
    The pros on this cab (I am sure that these relate to most of the Bassons) is that their lows are crushing, they are built like tanks (I like their wheels ;) , and they aren't overly exspencive.
    The cons are that they are heavy, they demand a lot of watts, their horn is somewhat harsh, and they don't cut through the mix (as well as other cabs).
    These cabs are made to sound like they sound. If you don't dig them then go somewhere else. Their cons have to be taken into consideration when buying one of these cabs. If you can't try one before you buy then, well, go with reviews and your gut feeling. These cabs are for anybody who loves metal or hard rock (not saying that all other styles are out). My band really loves the sound of this cab, we are a hard rock group. I occasionaly stomp on my distortion and the 210 take it very nicely. I had said that this cab does not cut through very good. It is geared more towards getting your low end out. You can hear this cab in the mix but I would more say that you can feel it over hearing it. I don't know. It is hard to describe.
    I would love to get a 410 Basson but my amp can't handle the watts and it wouldn't fit into my car (not to mention that I wouldn't be able to lift it into my car) If you got the watts, don't mind a heavy cab, and like your low end to be earth shaking then get one.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

One of the problems that one can encounter when under powering a Bass cab is that if all the speakers do not have a even sonic output you will cause the speakers to be come unnecessarily over worked causing one or more speakers to work extra hard,which is not a good sign.If you look at your speaker while you're playing your bass out of it and you see the speaker(s)warbling back and fourth that is not a good sign,your speakers should not be moving at all,so if you have a 410 cab and two or more of the speakers are moving back and forth then there's a good possibility that your cab is under powered and will soon be causing problems.the proper power out put causes a need balance for the best speaker output clean,even,and no distortion(unless that the sound you're going for)

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Power is always distributed evenly between speakers; they always have a sonic output for each of the speakers if the cab is working correctly. If speakers are not working, then there is something wrong with the speaker or the wiring.
    Speakers work by moving back and forth. They should be going back and forth. You should be able to see the speakers moving. They should not be moving too much and farting out, but they should be moving visibly.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

All speakers are not designed the same in conjuction with cab design and projected power output and based off of what the company is going for.In most cases If your speakers are moving back and forth and it's pushing to strong that is not a good thing,the bottom line is speakers should have an even out put balance and under powering can cause unbalanced distrubution to all the speakers in the cab.

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How so? Unless the impedances mismatch or there is a crossover, each speaker in a cab is getting the same exact amount of power (assuming that the wiring is working right). There is no way to get identical speakers wired up in series or parallel in the same box to act any differently from each other. And in cabs with speaker impedance mismatches (such as maybe a 210 115) the distribution of power flows by the laws of physics, which depends on how the speakers are wired. For instance, in a cab with 2 10s at 16 Ohms with a 15 at 8 Ohms in series you get 1/2 of the power to the 15, and 1/4 to each of the 10s. The amount of wattage going to the cab is irrevelant.
    Again, speakers are always moving. Don't believe me? Feel one while you are playing. You should not push the speaker to fart, but that problem is associated with overpowering, not underpowering.

15. padgettohio

padgettohio

Apr 13, 2006
    Cincinnati
    Thank you JAUQO III-X for your input. It's great to hear a review from someone who uses the product all the time. I found these cabinets after putting together my current rig (SVP-CL pre w/an SVP-1600 power amp). I find more info on the pre/power amps, and I read that Nikki Sixx used the same setup. So I checked to see what cabinet(s) he used, hoping to find a good match. I found it was Basson. I must say, they do sound like monsterous cabinets. But what I'm wondering about Nikki Sixx using them is this: It's stated that they are power hungry; and as you said, "if it says 1000w, give it 1000 or more". But if he's using an SVP-1600 to power the amp, he's only running 1200watts into the cabinet. Is this fine for this cab?

Sorry y'all, I hate to beat a dead horse with this whole "matching amp power to cabinets" thing; but I've been having trouble with blown speakers, and overheating amps ever since I switched to bass playing. Man, I may have to switch back to the ol' guitar full time, plug into a combo amp, and just forget about the whole amp/cab matching crap. LOL

Thanks to all the others who've given feedback about their experiences with these cabinets as well. Looking forward to hearing from more of you...

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

You're more than welcome.

With all due respect SMASH,I guess you can include me in that debate.I have experienced first hand the problem I described with under powering a cab and I worked from the ground up on the Basson 510 cab(before Victore Basson even started on the 510 cab he informed me that he was interested in working with me on such a cab and that also included Garry Goodman).The Basson 510 cab is a bigger seller in Japan so far than it has been here in the states.

17. undertheashes

undertheashes

Jun 8, 2006
    Idaho
    basson is the best ****ing cabinet ever! I have an 8x10 and running 2,500 watts to that bad boy! THE DEEPEST LOWS YOU'LL EVER HEAR, PUNCHY ASS MIDS and CRISP CLEAN HIGHS! It is deffinetly bigger and heavier than the ampeg 8x10, but worth it! THis thing pisses all over the ampeg. **** AMPEG! HAHAHAHA, cheap ass bass cabinets they are.

18. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Interesting observations & discussion.

A couple thoughts.

perhaps all of the drivers in the basson cab are not the same, one or more having a different sensitivity?

It seems to be pretty much agreed upon to use all the same drivers in the same enclosure (unless you use a crossover or individual internal compartments).

but, whatever works for them.

IF all the drivers are the same, and they are wired correctly, you cant underpower a cab. you can only be underpwered for a situation .

An neat little experiment you could do to attempt to witness the deliterious effects of "cab underpowering" is to connect an amp that is capable of exceeding the limitations of the cab.
    Next, connect an instrument. Turn the volume down until you BARELY hear any sound coming form the speakers.
    Your cab is being GROSSLY underpowered in that situation. no harm, no foul.

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Moving any of the Basson cabs has the potential to do serious damage to your back. The 4x10" weighs about 150 pounds. The 8x10" weighs over 200 pounds. Even the 2x10" and 1x15" cabs are heavy, weighing in at 110 pounds and 84 pounds respectively. Other than the crippling weight, they're probably great.

- Eric the sissy

20. If I didn't have enough power and uderpowering was really an issue I wouldn't spend so much money on a heavy and powerful cab .