Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASSON SOUND

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 16, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    OMFG. I've played everything except the super esoteric, exotic crap like Bergantino & Accugroove. Never heard anything like the Basson 410. Lissen, whether we're talking about fender, Peavey, Ampeg, Ashdown whoever....there's a 99 percent chance your bass cabinet is loaded with some variety of Eminence Brand Speakers, with either a 32 or 56 ounce magnet. THESE F***ING THINGS HAVE 12 POUND MAGNETS. 200 OUNCES. The 410 had the deepest lows I've ever heard. Standing about 4 feet in front of it with shorts on feels like you're walking into a brisk wind.....

if you havent checked these out, you're really missing out....

www.bassonsound.com

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I agree the Basson 410 sounds fabulous and Victor, Shawn & the Basson crew are super cool guys. But the weight of that cab is WAYYYYYYYY to much for my back. ALL MDF construction = great resonance = heavy as god. But if you don't mind the weight they are worth a listen for sure.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I played the 210. Tons of lows. Lots of output. No note definition whatsoever with an EBS head and it weighed way too much.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So it was like a more-efficient & heavier Ampeg cab? :p :bag:

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The Basson 210 made Ampeg sound like EA.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ouch.

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Hey if Nikki Sixx uses 'em, they must be good... Right?! :p

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got a 1x15, louder than h-e-double hockey sticks. Heavy as all get out. I'm thinking of selling it and the Hartke 4.5xl... too heavy!

9. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    MDF= a big pile of dust the first time it's dropped. Not the best choice for road-worthiness or weight.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    BTDT, won'y buy anything of that construction again. The added weight would insure total destruction of the cab.

11. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    well lissen yes, I play in two outfits: Agressive Speed Metal, and pop-ey funk-rock.
    With the metal outfit (www.sonofmourning.com) I'm stacked against two guys with heavily modified Peavey 5150 Heads and Cabs, And a Maniac drummer.
    The GK head / Cab have done wonerfully for the Funk-Rock outfit, but just okay for the metal outfit.
    Yes : if you A/B the Basson next to an Epifani UL-610 you're going to hear a tremendous difference in focus and definition.
    If you A/B the Basson next to an Ampeg 410hlf (which I've done just days ago) at an identical level.....the 410 will sound MORE focused and articulate, without the need to stroke your EQ for hours trying to clean up the low mids as is required with all ampegs.
    Right next to my GK 410 rbh sounded just nearly identical until it was getting more than twice the power.

NOW THE WEIGHT ISSUE:
    My GK 410's weigh about 100lbs each, and I use two for most live sets. (Telling you these guitarists are greedy). Thats carrying my 50 lb+ road case, and more than two hundred pounds worth of cabinets. The basson weighs exactly 140 lbs........and I only need one !!!!! to me that's saving 60 lbs of travel weight.

In closing, those of you who have never had to stand up to two detuned, heavily distorted guitars playing 64th notes through an entire octave and a double kick-drummer with a mic on every surface....consider yourselves lucky.....there's a whole world of insufficiencey and sufferring you will never know.... either way, just trying to spread the word on what i feel to be the first totally unique bass cab inna long time...
    :spit:

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Totally unique?

First?

Don't think so. ;)

13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Does that imply that Epifani isn't esoteric or exotic?

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, there's always this disappointment, when you're excited about something and other don't share your feelings. Just don't take it personal.

That said, big magnets are not innovative in itself, and there are numerous great innovative makers.

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hey, nothing wrong with them, my back just can't take it anymore. I'm even thinking of selling my 2x10s and get a bunch of 1x10s and 1x12s.

16. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    The replies to my post border on flat out bashing......

Ox: yes, totally unique....find me another 200 ounce magnet and I'll buy you lunch. Find me three 410's that dont have eminence drivers and I'll buy you breakfast the next day. Only real difference in Peavey / Fender / Ampeg / GK (non-neo) / Eden / SWR etc etc 410's is how and if they're ported..Far less of a Gimmick than an "Aural Enhancer" or such. I consider a genuine innovation.

Silky:
    Maybe last year. If you can buy it on music123.com it's no longer exotic. ;)

so much bad news on this thing I may cancel my orders and buy the gk neo 412..(still wont be as loud tho...)

well at least noone bashed my band.....

17. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I've been told before that my farts are super esoteric & exotic, but this is the first time it's been said about my crap. Plus, it looks like Jim & I must be on the same diet.

Mark
    AccuGroove super esoteric & exotic crap

18. I'll take a Berg or Accugrooce any day! ;)
    Oh... never mind I have both... :D
    Heaven.... I'm in Heaven ....la da da dada da da da

19. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    :rollno: Yes I'll take one of each piece of crap please...

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well Jacqo-III-X is a member here and I'd like to hear his take on them. Personally, I wouldn't go near them as I feel they have a long way to go in catching up with the big boys and even Avatar for that matter. Just my opinion!