Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by misterk73, Jul 10, 2002.

1. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Anyone have any dealings with

What did you think about pricing, service, etc?
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have dealt with Bob many times and he has done very well by me every time. He is a good honest guy and you wont get a better deal on trade in's, anywhere! The thing to remember about the Bass Palace is that Bob sells USED BASSES, do not expect an instrument in NEW or PRISTINE condition unless it says so. I think they are pretty fair and trustworthy folks.

3. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have no problem with used instruments. I just want to be certain Bob (or whoever) is knowledable and respectable and is not going to try to pass on a flawed instrument.

So, in your opinion, if they advertise and instrument as "MINT" I can expect it to actually be mint?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I bought two basses from there. One was a Modulus Q5 described in "like new" condition. It arrived, indeed, in like new condition.

The other was a Yamaha TRB-5P described in "excellent" condition. It arrived in what would I would generously call "good" and if I were selling, would feel guilty calling it anything better than "fair." It was pretty beat up, a "player."

They are absolutely honest people, though. Swami allowed me to return it without question, although it did cost me the shipping.

I saw it as an oversight on their part and a result of the fact that two guys are trying to handle a huge volume. They turn over basses really fast. I know it is tough to go over everyone with a fine-tooth comb.

I guess my only advice is to ask VERY SPECIFIC questions about the bass. This advice is probably good for buying any bass online from anywhere.

Just ask what you want to know. They are great people to talk to.

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Bob and Bernie are great guys to deal with... They're been very fair and reasonable on all the deals I've had with them.. Steven..
  6. Bob and Bernie have always been honest and respectful when I've gone to their store. They will tell you straight off if they haven't gone over a bass or if they think one has crap tone. Again, though, they have such a huge volume that it's important that you pay close attention.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  8. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I just bought a new cabinet from them. I shopped around quite a bit before checking out Bass Palace, so I was well aware of what an aggressive price was. Bob cut me an excellent deal, plus he gave me a break on the shipping. His service was excellent, and overall was a great guy to do business with. I’d definitely buy from Bass Palace again.
  9. i bought a (hardly) used son of bertha at the bass palace....i walked in with a G&L L-100 p-bass. i needed a 1-15..i hadn't alot of money..just this bass for a trade in..or for money. im only 16 so i havent alot of money to throw around..i originally just hoped the swami would buy it so i could use the money for an ampeg 1-15. he explained how shaky he was on taking my G&L because he wasnt moving enough of the billions of G&Ls he already had. then i glanced over and saw the swr cab. we worked out a deal...and with reasoning with him..i realized he wanted me to have a 1-15 cab just as much as i did....and he sort of saw to it that i got it. he isnt a business man...he is a bass player who sells basses..its not about the money for him. i would not hesitate on making another purchase from him. the bass palace is gods gift to bass players.
  10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Willy, that is a great post. You are wise beyond your years young man. No wonder you are a bass player.

11. Bob cut me an amazing deal on a new GS-410 because I was able to pick it up from the Palace: two used Eden D-210Ts and $50. I got away with a GS-410 for basically $650.
  12. thanks man, its appreciated.
  13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    In my opinion Bob and Bernardo are "Simply the Best"!
  14. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    I have dealt with bob and bernie more than a couple of times.and its always been a great experience.the swami rules !!!
  15. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I emailed Basspalace about a second-hand mex jazz bass and asked about the approx shipping cost to Australia. Bob replied, asked for my postal code and said he would get back to me - I send my postal code, didn't get a reply, emailed again to ask what was up and saying I was interested in getting a particular bass, and still haven't heard from them since (over a month ago).

I realise it was going to be a small sale for them (~US$350) but even a brief email to the extent of "sorry, but it's not worth our time" or "suggest you look somewhere else" would have sat better with me than no response at all.

16. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

I don't really think the issue has to do with the cost of the bass you asked about. I've emailed about much more expensive instruments than that, and sometimes I've gotten immediate responses (occasionally at 1 in the morning), and sometimes I've never heard back.

If there's one serious problem I've run into with BassPalace, it's that they can sometimes be bad about forgetting to respond to emails if they don't get to them right away. They really are swamped much of the time--every time I've been in the shop, Bob has been on the phone continuously answering calls (often several at a time) the whole 1-2 hours I was there, weekdays and weekends both.

I bought my NM cond. `98 P from there sight unseen(I`m in Cali)for $525.00+$25.00 shipping.I was delighted with the customer service,prompt shipping,andmost of all the bass! :) I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.
  18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've never bought anything from Bass Palace but have exchanged emails with Bob on more than several occasions.

His a very busy person who besides running the store is a family man. He does get frustrated when he can't get everything done but he assured me that he tries his best.

All in all he seems to be a really great guy. I'd have no reservation buying anything that he has listed as "Mint" if I were looking for something in that catagory.
  19. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I can completely understand the 'busy' thing. Even in this day and age, it is far preferable to talk to someone on the phone rather than exchange emails; this is usually quicker and more satisfactory than dealing purely via electronic means anyway.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have dealt with Bob and Bernie on my share of occasions and have put some of my highend basses in their store and I must say it went beyond smooth.I have no problem with continuing to deal with them.A good friend of mine ordered a Ric 4001 and it was discribed as good condition but when my friend recieved it he felt it wasn't in good condition and Bob said ok send it back,my friend sent it back and got his money back.upon my inspection of the bass was it was just as Bob had discribed good condition,so to me Bob was honest in his discription.dealing with the Bass Place is definately a positive.