Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassPlayer Live...Who's Going?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The BassPlayer Live thing in NYC October 16 & 17... www.bassplayerlive.com ...who's going?

This is what "Bass Day" has "evolved" into. But dig the prices. The "early booking discount" is $99 for both days plus the concert. One day plus the concert works out to $88.

I have no doubt this will be a cool hang...but the prices are pretty darn steep, no? I'll be going, but perhaps only to the concert.

What do you cats think?

2. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i was told i'll be going! :hyper:

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Huh...what?

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Okay, so that makes two of us. :cool:

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm thinking about it. It's a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, there's lots I'd like to see - but the whole 'Due to scheduling considerations, at this time we're unable to confirm which day specific programs will occur' thing seems more like a ploy to make you buy both days rather than one.

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    The day before...

Anyone besides me and kcdbass going to be there? :eyebrow:

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I'll be there and jokerjkny should be as well. We're planning getting there round noon-ish Saturday

Maybe a meet up?

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I shall also be there around noonish on Saturday - going to go re-check all the info at the BP website to see the times of things occurring. If anyone really wants to go, but don't have the dough - email me as I may have an extra ticket, believe it or not. Please don't ask though unless you'll DEFINITELY go. Thanks.nervemail@aol.com

10. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I'm going... ( though where I'll be staying over the weekend is up in the air..... anybody have extra floor space? :confused: )

I was told the doors open at 10 a.m., Con. begins at 11 a.m.

:disclaimer: I'm just the messenger... :bag:

11. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Anyone driving down from CT. and has extra room? I'd be more than happy to throw in on gas. Otherwise its MetroNorth.....

( I live in Wallingford, conveniently located a couple minutes away from Merrit Prkwy and I-91 )

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I will be there. I have an extra ticket for Sunday that I won't be using and I'm happy to give away if anyone needs it. Shoot me an email: joel@thegrooveshoppe.com if you want it.

Thanks!

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I hope that this event gets video-recorded. It's a shame that none of the Bass Days since 98 are available.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I saw them recording Reggie Hamilton and Will Lee's parts.

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
  16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Just got back. Great show last night. A lot of great bass players and great performances, but the jaw-dropping performance of the weekend was by Wayne Krantz' drummer Cliff Almond. OMG!!!!!!! :eek:

Yes, AJ was awesome, and so was Wayne...but Almond was a motherf&*%$#. It was just wrong, man.

17. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

Yeah, deff. a good time there. Some really nice equipment on display as well.

Personally I enjoyed Oskar Cartaya and the Enclave and Anthony Jackson's sets much better, but everyone was awasome. Too bad they didnt ge tthe sound dialed in until Will.'s set (IMO, anyway)

I finally got to try out some Aguilar stuff, but for the price, I liked the Ampeg SVP-CL preamp overall ( sounded great and had a nice, simple layout.)and may pick one up just as an "investment piece" for recording. Of course there was alot of "boutique" stuff too, but as its way out of my league at present I figured there was no reason to "torture" myself....lol

One thing I would like modified is the scheduling of the clinics.... there were something like 6 clinics all happening at the same time and it was a major dilema choosing which one to attend. Luckily, a couple times the choices were made for me as the rooms were full by the time I got to the clinic.

My only "complaint" would be the "standing-room only"
    at the China Club. Wouldnt have been so bad If I didnt have to walk everywhere once I got to Manhattan, but I digress....

Overall, much fun to be had and I gotta give props to the BP staff ( esp. Bill Leigh.. BIG UP!) and all the performers who attended.