Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassplayers PLEASE LISTEN! Opinions please

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickr, Aug 4, 2005.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Hello All,
    I am looking for feedback on a CD I just finished. I am shopping labels but not sure exactly what Genre to classifly this music. Please let me know what you think of the music and what musical category it would best fit.
    Many thanks!!!
    Ricky Reed

http://www.soundclick.com/artist/0/redeyeseamus_music.htm

2. Realy cool tracks. You kinda have a Claypool vibe on most of them. Hope you don't mind, but I downloaded Frequilibrium and have it on my MP3 Player.

Jazz Fusion fits ya'll.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm, some good stuff there!! Not sure what it would be classified as though. Could be progressive rock with emphasis on the bass of course. Maybe you could shop it to a label like Tone Center.

4. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Couldn't hear the tracks, but I would say put out your album yourself. Labels can be way more of a pain than they are worth. You can print and press the discs fairly inexpensively and there are distribution companies that work with indie artists. If you are having trouble classifing the genre of music, the labels are almost certain not to know either. Plus, if you do it yourself you make all the profit and are not in debt to anyone. Lots of labels want to know how many discs you have sold on your own before they even consider signing you. Rock on and good luck!

5. Not only that, but unless you approach labels that solicit new music, your disc will be filed in the circular bin.

Do it yourself.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This is especially a good point in today's music landscape. Now that stuff like iTunes has become popular and accepted(it's not necessarily a 'standard' now, but it's certainly very popular), there is an actual market for online distribution of music. What remains is promotion, another thing that the internet can, theoretically assist you greatly. The only problem is that people on the internet expect everything to be free, but if it's a good enough product, people will buy it if you get the word out.

CDbaby.com will put your CD on iTunes where it will be downloadable by millions of people. Only thing you've got to do is figure out how to get those millions of people to know :p

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice stuff. Too bad Relativity records is out of business.

www.cdbaby.com is the place to distribute.

8. Fixed it for you. v:O)~

9. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Thanks for all the great feedback and info guys. Please keep it coming.
    Ricky

10. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'm loving it. You've got some incredible tapping skills. I noticed you took a line from Victor Wooten in Alberene. ;)

I'd buy your CD in a second if all the tracks are this good.

-Eric.

11. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Eric, you are correct! I actually talked to Victor about creating a vague Victor Wooten medley and he said no problem. I made sure he got the first copy of that song!
    Thanks
    Ricky

12. sheehan_17

sheehan_17

Jun 3, 2005
    dude, your stuff is awesome.

13. This is friggin' awesome! Let me know when it gets published, I will definately buy a copy!

~Ryan

14. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Thanks so much for all the positive feedback, it means more than you will know. I spent sooooooooo many hours creating these songs, its great to hear that they are appreciated!
    Ricky

15. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    You guys are badass!

I love the tempo changes. Well, i love everything..

How long have you played?

By the way, claypool vibe? i think this is way better...

16. +1... and from a HUGE Primus fan too :D

~Ryan

17. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    it's cool. but soundwise there's a bit too much compression going on. i also don't like the guitar staying hard-panned throughout
    the song. but i can see the problem of getting enough room for the
    bass and not endung up with "one big mono" sound.

some of the songs could use a bit more structural elements...

but all in all it's some cool playing, very nice.

18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    What's hard-panned.. ? :bag:

19. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    First: Wow.

Second: Well, "Wow" again, I guess. :)

And just a bit down the road from me, as well. Are you guys playing out at all? I need to try to pop over and catch you some time. And if you ever gig in the Richmond area, I am so there.

Please let us know when "Passages" is released... you can expect an order from me, for sure.

Way impressive stuff. Thanks for sharing, rickr!

'rick

(Geez... yet another bassist named Rick R. in the same general area... fortunately there's no possibility of confusion given how poorly I play! :p )