Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassplaying and rings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Berten, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I just got married last friday, so I 've got a wedding ring on my left hand. It gets in the way when I'm playing my bass, to I keep it out to play the bass...

What do you guys do? Do you play with rings on??

Just starting a discussion....

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Maybe get into the habit of hanging the ring off a necklace whenever you're at band practice or a gig, so that way you'll always have it with you and it won't get in the way of your playing.

Keeping it in a pocket or lying around on a table at home is just asking for trouble. It could fall out of your pocket or something.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I take mine off everytime. If I'm home I just lay it down in an obvious spot. Out and about I pocket it. It's heavier than coins and I've never had a coin leave my pocket.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i leave mine on...it's just something i've gotten used to

5. I keep mine on. It used to be an issue, because it's like 7mm wide, and kinda thick, but between the years of wearing the ring down in everyday life, and the neck(s) acheiving mojo also as a result, it's become much more tolerable.

A ring is just a symbol of something that should trancend symbols...but I still get a bad ju-ju type of feeling if I take my ring off...

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It must be a huge ring! I've been playing with my wedding ring on for 10 years now. Never bothered me. The only time I ever needed to take it off was when I was playing softball while batting. Then it bothered me.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd never worn a ring before I got married; now I've just got the one that I keep on all the time (unless I'm doing some heavy DIY or gardening work). Almost ten years on and my finger feels almost naked when I don't have the ring on.

It doesn't get in the way when I play, although I do recall that it took a couple of weeks to adjust.

Wulf

8. pssst -

Chicks dig married guys. Learn to play with the ring and you'll have much more attention paid to your side of the stage. It's the truth.

9. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hi Berten,

first of all congratulations on finding the right gal! I never take off my wedding ring and have gotten used to it. But I am wearing it on my right hand (the "pluck" hand) as I got married in Las Vegas, and also, my wife is protestant. I never verified this, but apparently roman catholics differ in this in that they wear the ring on the left hand. Is that so?

Steven

10. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I have a small hands so my wedding ring get's in the way on the D and G string. I take it off, put it on my key ring and pocket the key ring. I remove my watch to. It seems like it weighs down my left hand more than necessary when playing.

11. I too cannot wear a watch while playing.

12. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    :) Congradulations man. I dont wear a ring nor am I married, so i wouldn't know, but I imagine it would be different. I just wanted to congradulate you on getting married.

you can always get a pocket watch, it will make you look ultra slick. :cool:

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have been married for 14 years. Played almost everyday of that with my rings (3) on. I think that it is very much something you either must get used to or don't wear the ring. I always take mine off when we move gear, but after I wash up, the ring goes back on.

14. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    I got used to wearing my wedding ring and playing. I never wear watch, mainly cuz my line of work requires that I dont wear a watch. I could lose my hand if it got caught in my machine, then i wouldnt be able to play at all so i just guess what time it is *L* :D

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had trouble getting used to playing with a ring, but after seeing absolute monster players work with a ring on, I decided to give it a real try. My wife understood my not wearing it while playing, but ribbed me about taking it off in nightclubs. Turned out the "problem" with playing with the ring was psychological. Never had any trouble with it clacking against the strings, as I had feared would happen.

:)

16. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    I would agree it's probably just something you need to do a few times and get used to. I'm not married, but I put on some rings one night before a show and while I was warming up playing at home, it felt very awkward and sorta hurt so I moved them over to my picking hand but have friends who play with rings, so i know it was just something to get used to.

When I think of rings and playing, I always think of this bass I saw on eBay that I wanted that had neck wear from rings and for some reason that made the bass that much cooler to me (it was a Rick Blackstar so it was already way cool and rare ....man, I want that bass)

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I usually take my ring off (watch too), and my wife doesn't mind.

Marshall

18. This is true!
    I don't know why it is. It just is. Women seem to get turned on by a committed guy, and some women seem to find sport in trying to get a guy to break his committment. (did I spell that right???) Anyway, my ring is just slightly too large so I can remove it if I have to poke around in electrical panels or electronic equipment. Nights with the ring are certainly more interesting than nights without the ring. YMMV

19. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I can't stand a ring on my finger.

As far as the chicks dig wedding ring issue, I've actually asked several girls about this.

The general consensus is that a guy with a wedding ring is a guy that won't bug you for a week and stalk you for a month after he get's a little.

Girls jus' wanna have fun.

20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm divorced and i miss wearing my ring while playing. I used to clack it against the back of the neck for an audible percussive effect and even used it as a slide.