Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassquake California PICS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hippiesandwich, Sep 26, 2004.

1. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    What a GREAT TIME! :hyper:

Not sure where this belongs, because there was great gear, great performances and especially great people - enjoy!

Bassquake 09/25/04 Photo Album

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cool! Looks like it was a lot of fun!

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Where can I get a custom Yamaha that looks like those?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jeebus, you really see how huge the scale length on those Knuckle basses are when someone's holding one:
    [​IMG]

Forget one finger per fret-one hand per fret is more like it.

5. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Bassquake was an absolute blast. The artists were very approachable and gave some great clinics/shows.

As a note, that's BassWhore playing the Knuckle through the Accugroove cabinets with Mark Wright's back to the camera. That was a huge bass with a huge sound.

-Eric.

6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Thanks for the photos L-man!

I certainly had a blast, as I'm sure everyone did. One of the best things was just seeing you guys; my friends.

Mark
    AccuGroove Speakers

7. Those knuckle basses are soooooo nice sounding....but how does one manage to play such a massive instrument...My LB-76 is 35 1/4 inches I have enough trouble with that...let alone 39 inches

8. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    That Yamaha looks pretty amazing. The details on the pickups are pretty cool, I've never seen that before.

9. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Good, proper upright technique worked for me. Just like any other ERB bass, technique is important.

I'd certainly want to practice a while before taking it to a gig though.

-Eric.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i would just like to note that i am in no way affiliated with barker basses.

:D

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great pics! A couple of questions for those who were there. Who's Kristen Korb? What was the electric bass that Myron Dove was playing? Also, did anyone get a chance to play Mark's Bee singlecut? Thanks.

12. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    a) http://www.kristinkorb.com/

b) Myron played a Warwick bolt on P/j 4

c) I've played Mark's Bee - it rocks!

13. As a member of the team that puts BassQuake on each year, I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed it. I unfortunately had to miss it this year to stay home with my family while sitting patiently, waiting for a new addition to our family to arrive. (As much as I am bummed to have missed BQ, I would have been in worse shape had my wife gone into labor.) :eek:

I'll be updating the Web site soon for BassQuake and will post as many photos from the event that I get sent in.

-- Tom <a href="http://wwwsounddecisionadvertising.com" target="sda">Sound Decision Advertising</a>

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's not me dude. That's Chuck.
    edit: oops, OK, i see now, in the photo album, yup that's me :)

BTW. I posted a few pics in the Miscellaneous section

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1672334

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Specifically, Myron was playing a Warwick Streamer LX bolt-on 4-string.

16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It's 39 1/2", don't forget the half! and it's a beast, but it sounds and plays awesome, I would imagine myself playing mostly around the 5th fret area, but don't worry about hitting the open B or F#, those strings are smooth and tight.

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    That's the same Knuckle that's featured at www.basstasters.com. Truly, it isn't quite as unwieldly as that picture appears - that guy must be shorter than me, because the Knuckle looked pretty normal on me. You CAN do on-finger-per-fret, it's just more of a stretch than normal. I did a 3 hour practice with the Knuckle, and never missed a note.

The tightness of the B and F# strings is astounding!

18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It's deceptive looking. You don't think it's 5 1/2" longer than a standard bass by looking at it. But if you strap it on and try to play a chord down in 1st position you will realize that it really is much bigger than it looks. Not, that it's impossible to play, it would just take some getting used to.

19. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You play chords in 1st position? DAMN! :D

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author &quot;The Art of Solo Bass&quot;
    Now it's on the NYC (Bassplayer Live) and the Motor City for the Detroit Bass Fest