1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

basstasters.com

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by detracti, May 7, 2006.

1. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Wow, I just found this site... what a great idea!!

Its not perfect, but at least you can get an idea what some things sound like relative to other things. Puts some meaning behind those terms we use to try and describe what something sounds like, or similar to etc.

Written reviews can be so subjective, and a lot of the time, they are just a bunch of raving about some new piece of gear recently acquired.

I just hope that their speaker cab section grows to include a variety of makes and models.

2. First of all, this thread is pointless. You found BassTasters. Party time! w00t!

However - it is great that they are back up and running! I was worried that they were shut down for good.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes it certainly is a great little site. I've dowloaded quite a few soundbites. However, without taking anythign away from such a fine prject, i will say that it does not substitute for an actual trial of the gear used, but rather gives you a "first listen". Many of the preamps vary widely in how the eq settings sound (especially units like the alembic and avalon U5) at various settings. Units like the alembic are particularly vulnerable, as they use the fender passive interactive tone stack, which really has no flat setting. It also helps to remember that mp3 files heard thru pc speakers will not give you an accurate indication of what somethign really sounds like. With speakers the situation gets even worse, as the microphones used will color the sound.

All that aside, (and even though it soudns like i'm knocking the site), I think that basstasters is a great resource to use when 1st considering gear.

4. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    BassTasters does not change too much. what is there has been there for a long time. No additions just deletions. It is a good place to get an idea of sound but as usual only playing will tell the story. And this thread may be usless to some but who cares the originator seemed to think it had some worth and maybe everyone does not know About basstasters. So It would seem to have use to some purpose for those who don't know about it or about it being back on line.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    That remains to be seen.

:eek:

Don't sweat it man, hopefully he was just ribbing you. And if not? Hey, some folks just like to "urinate into your breakfast cereal".

Basstasters IS a great site. Their preamp clips are almost identical to the few that I have heard in person or owned. I have no idea as to the accuracy of their bass clips.

:D

Joe.

7. Anyone else find this funny?

8. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    That's too bad... I went back, and noticed the last post on the news page was back in Feb.

I've been doing searches for a couple weeks now researching heads & cabs. I have an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro w/ an SVT210HE and Eden D-212XLT, and have been researching trying to figure out ways that I might improve on it.

It just finally turned up on a google search for me, so for me it is new, and wasn't easily found.

Right now, I'm considering Aguilar cabs 2x12 & 2x10 w/ an Ampeg SVT-6Pro. But this is all based on reading stuff... no one around here carries Aguilar cabs, so I have no way to know if I'd like them other than what I've read, and what I know about what I like about what I have now.

9. If youre serious about getting new gear, plan a day trip or over night trip somewhere that carries what youre looking for. When you start spending big bucks on equiment, its good to go try them out. I did that with my last bass purchase, and while it cost a few bucks, it was worth it. Where are you located (fill out your profile, its helpful for us to give you suggestions to places around you)?

Dave

10. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I'm located in Seattle. We have Bass NW here, which is a great place. They're an Aguilar dealer, but they don't have any on the floor.

I have a trip to San Francisco this month... was going to see if there was anywhere around there that might carry them.

Thanks for pointing out about the profile... I'll fill it in.

11. Bass NW is a good place. I expect theyll get some stuff in to put on the floor. Hopefully some Cali residents will chime in about places in San Fran. Im sure theres a few Guitar Centers between you and there.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I would just add that the Seattle Guitar Center frequently sells basses for clearance prices that make me blush.

I've seen Ernie Ball basses selling for under $800 new and Ampeg heads also for cheap...

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No, I think Alex was a jerk.

15. yeah, he's only 15 though. Give him time to develop PR skills.

Yeah, basstasters can be useful but it still just sounds so much more sterile on the site. To the point where stuff sounds more similiar on the site than real life, but a good starting point IMO. Hopefully someone out there who hasn't heard of the site now will.....

16. Well, so many threads have been made about this website. This one is just plain unnecessary. Search!

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, Yea... I know. We all need to search more. But, Here's why I didnt think the thread starter deserved to be hit up side the head.

The post originator appears to be capable of piecing together complete sentences. He literally just joined TB within the past 8 days, & is only on his 7th post. His was an enthusiastic post. Clearly, he was just pumped & wanted to share! It's not like he was begging for info...

18. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Hey thanks! I've been working specifically on those complete sentences for some time now. :eyebrow:

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Basstasters.com is worth mentioning over and over and over. Todd, et al, really did a great job with it, and I find it to be a uniquely useful site, which I have referred to often - probably too often, judging by the size of my preamp selection! :eek:

Tom.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

thank the lord he just had a baby, or i'd be up to my eyeballs in pre's. :rollno: :D