1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basswood bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElliotBass, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Hey
    im looking at the fender Aerodyne jazz, and its got a basswood body. What do you people think of basswood?, advantages/disadvantages? etc.... I heard that basswood is lighter than alder for example.

thanks a lot

2. d-basser

d-basser

Nov 20, 2005
    my Peavey is basswood and i have to say it is nice and light

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

There's nothing wrong with Basswood. It's light and has good sound transmision qualities.

4. basswood is light and sounds good. It dents easiely so you must be carefull, it dosn't look good in natural finishes because it has a barely noticeabe grain

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Not my first choice in tone woods, but not all that bad either.

Like posted above, light wieght, but it dents fairly easy. Seems to be fairly resonant as well. For an inexpensive tonewood, I'd prefer Poplar, but basswood is reasonalby good.

6. I have a basswood Spector, it sounds good and is nice and light

7. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    It's just naturally ugly. If you have a paint job on top, then it's all good.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    With a name like BASSwood you'd expect it to be ideal for a bass, wouldn't you?

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    but strangely, ibanez use it for almost all of the RG trem series(guitars for people that did know)

I think people just get a bad impression of basswood because loads of low-end guitars and basses are made of them, but in reality loads of high end basses and guitars are made out of them too.
    I think the same goes for agathis to a certain extent

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Nothing wrong with it sonically. It looks plain to ugly when unfinished, but that's no problem with the Aerodyne.

11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Can you name some high end basses that use basswood? The only one I can think of is the Manne Glenn Hughes sig model. I'm not so sure I can justify paying $3000 for a passive basswood bodied bass, even though I f'n love Glenn Hughes.

As far as my thoughts on the wood itself, I'm with everyone else. It's lightweight, has decent tone, but it's soft and dents easily. I wouldn't use it because I like to writhe around on the floor and do all kinds of stage antics, so I would always prefer a harder wood that can take the dings better... and that's not so soft that the strap pins come out easily (like they have on an old agathis bass I used to have; sounded really good, though. Super deep tone.)

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    G&L L2500's have an Ash top over a basswood back to save weight.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My SRX505 is a basswood body with a flamed maple top.

14. These are made of basswood and I never got anything other than good remarks on the tone of em:

newsr5andbongopics003.

DSC01110.

DSC01145.

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My Ibanezes (I think, at least the RB800) have em for bodies.

Lots of mids.

16. thanks a lot, do you find the fact that it dents easily a big problem? I tend to be a little rough with my basses