Basswood body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FreddyHutt, Oct 3, 2016.

1. FreddyHutt

FreddyHutt

Sep 13, 2016
    still thinking of the short scale bass they say the body is Basswood and it is a soft wood and won't hold up.Any thoughts That would be the
    Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass II Electric Bass Guitar

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I had the earlier model of the Junior Jet. Sounded great but the basswood body was soft and dinged up pretty easily. It will hold up just fine, but you'll have more mojo more quickly than you would with an alder or ash body.

I believe the MIJ Fender Aerodynes are also made of basswood.

3. I have a basswood Classic Vibe P Bass. It is relatively light and resonant. It has held up well, but I'm pretty easy on my basses.

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've had a CV Jazz with a basswood body for three years...not a scratch or nick on it.

kodiakblair likes this.
  5. FreddyHutt

FreddyHutt

Sep 13, 2016
    Thanx this helps, I'm pretty careful with my stuff as well but I like the guitar

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I'm on my 4th CV P bass. All of mine are/ were ding free.
    As you can see , I like basswood.

7. sambass0124

sambass0124

Mar 2, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I've played a Squier Classic Vibe P Bass, the body is basswood and the sound is quite good (actually I like the neck of it more than my US P bass neck:p)

But be careful, I played a basswood bass with neck dive. I think it is because the body is light ... I don't mean all basswood basses have that problem but...... play that bass before you buy.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

You are correct, sir! :thumbsup:

Because of the relative softness of the wood combined with the particular finish Fender Japan used on them, Aerodynes tend to ding and chip somewhat easily, but it's all just cosmetic "mojo". It doesn't affect the playability or functionality of the instrument one bit.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    EBMM Bongo

10. tim68

tim68

Oct 16, 2013
    Harvest AL
    I've found that I generally, really like the tone of basswood instruments.
    My G&L SB2 Tribute is basswood, and sounds fantastic.
    Basswood may be softer than some other woods, but I think the fragility is a bit overstated.
    I've owned several basswood basses, and have never dinged one up....then again though, I am pretty careful with my gear.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Basswood isn't horrid - I have a really nice Warmoth baritone strat (quilt maple over basswood) and it sounds great. YES, it's a bit soft - really easy to dent. But it's light!

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Only basswood bodied bass I have is a cheapo' P kit I (franken)built early this year and it sounds totally nice. You notice of course in the weight (and consequent neckdive) and of course it dents easily. Now, what I hate the most is how easily strap button holes come loose. Again, nothing some toothpicks and epoxy can't fix. They're just acceptable, for entry level stuff it's OK but I'd never spend serious money on a basswood body instrument. For example, I'd never get a Bongo (uglyness aside), I find basswood plain not serious on a 2000€ instrument (yep, that's what they start at here in the EU).

AaronVonRock likes this.
  13. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Been playing my Basswood EBmm Bongo for long time now has held up real well and nothing sounds like it

14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Agree. Basswood is the reason I've never bought a Fender Aerodyne and they aren't even close to 2000 euros. I prefer a wood that is stronger and less delicate than basswood. I'm not careless with my basses, but they do leave my house, get used, get in unpredictable situations, and wind up in unsavory environments from time to time.

15. I have a few basswood bodies. The wood is softer than most others used in MI applications, but it'ds the tone I get from Basswood that has me thinking twice about getting another basswood bodied bass.
    To my ear, basswood lacks some fundamental mid range tones that leaves the sound a bit hollow, for lack of a better term. Your mileage may differ. I would think that it is a great medium for low to mid ranged instruments or instruments that have a very powerful pre that can easily make up for the tone absence of basswood.
    Fishheadjoe

16. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    My basswood CV P bass has held up ding free for a few years now. I'm careful with my stuff but the bass has been stuffed into a gig bag at the end of the night and shoved in with the rest of the gear. If the Gretsch looks good and sounds good to you grab it.

17. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I have a couple of basswood P basses that I've had for almost a year now and neither have any dings (yet). They seem to be holding up well, but I'm pretty easy on my basses.

I will admit I was hesitant on going with basswood when they started becoming more common as bass bodies. Really just because I'm more of an ash/alder traditionalist. But now after owning a couple I have no concerns whatsoever as far as durability.

18. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    I have that bass and recommend it. Have had it for about three years, and haven't had any issues with dings. I am pretty careful with all my instruments, but it seems as sturdy as any of my non-basswood instruments. And it is a blast to play!

19. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    Basswood is nice and light, but as others have pointed out, it does ding easier than some other woods do. I also recommend not changing out anything too often... I had a fretless Jazz that I was indecisive about pickguard color and after I swapped it out twice the screw holes completely stripped out. Same with the bridge, I was very careful and used the same screws to install a replacement bridge, but when I put the original one back on I had to repair the holes. It is all quite fixable, but if I had to do it all over again I would have just left it alone.

20. Why is "basswood" a thing with bass players ?

Read plenty of folks raving about their $2000+ Ibanez JEM 707 guitars,no concerns about "basswood" there.
    Have a few basswood body basses myself,all holding up well alongside my chipped and dinged to blazes ash,alder
    and mahogany bodied basses.

honeyiscool likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021